Books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukeman9988

Reaction score
I was curious to see if anyone knows of any books that cover more of the science/technical aspects of brewing? Also any book or website that covers how to perform calculations

thanks guys

The classic is DeClerck's 2 volume Textbook of Brewing. It was written in the 50's so it's a little dated but the fundamentals are so sound that Siebel uses it as a text to this day (in fact it is from them that you will have to get it - they have had it reprinted). Then there is Hough, Briggs, Stevens and Young (may have them ordered wrong) which is more recent but getting a little long in the tooth itself now. As the authors are all from the UK the emphasis is on UK methods. There are the two editions of Handbook of Brewing (first edition edited by Hardwick and the second by Stewart and another author whose name escapes me). You asked about calculations and there is a whole chapter on the subject in the first edition (and maybe the second as well but I don't remember seeing it). From the German perspective Narziß's Abriß der Bier Brauerei is doubtless the classic but I don't think it has been translated into English. Kunze's book has though.

As for calculations - there is a set of notes at www.wetnewf.org which goes into specific gravity related calculations at some length. You will also find stuff at that site on brewing water calculations.

The classic is DeClerck's 2 volume Textbook of Brewing. It was written in the 50's so it's a little dated but the fundamentals are so sound that Siebel uses it as a text to this day (in fact it is from them that you will have to get it - they have had it reprinted). Then there is Hough, Briggs, Stevens and Young (may have them ordered wrong) which is more recent but getting a little long in the tooth itself now. As the authors are all from the UK the emphasis is on UK methods. There are the two editions of Handbook of Brewing (first edition edited by Hardwick and the second by Stewart and another author whose name escapes me). You asked about calculations and there is a whole chapter on the subject in the first edition (and maybe the second as well but I don't remember seeing it). From the German perspective Narziß's Abriß der Bier Brauerei is doubtless the classic but I don't think it has been translated into English. Kunze's book has though.

As for calculations - there is a set of notes at www.wetnewf.org which goes into specific gravity related calculations at some length. You will also find stuff at that site on brewing water calculations.

wetnewf guy also has great info on beer color, perhaps one of the least appreciated parts of brewing.

The two volume set of Malting and Brewing Science by Hough, Briggs, Stevens and Young is quite good. I got volume one in a used book store for $5 and all that was wrong with it were a couple of scratches on the back jacket. I think somebody made a mistake; it should have been at least $50, as new copies of each volume are over $200.
Also by Hough is The Biotechnology of Malting and Brewing, which can be had for $30 or so used. It's kind of a Cliff Notes of the two volume set.
Technology Brewing and malting by Wolfgang Kunze is good as well (another used book store find).

PS: The website of the journal of the The Journal of the The Institute of Brewing & Distilling has been free for a while. It has pdfs of quite a technical nature.

Oh man, George Fix's Principles of Brewing Science friggin' rocks. It's only about 150 pages, but it's chock full of heavy chemistry. If you don't come from a chemistry background, it acts as a good sleep aid. Seriously- ten pages and I'm out like a light.

I own and have read (and marked-up extensively) each of the following books cover-to-cover, in some cases numerous times. If I had to choose a single one, cheap and concise with excellent references to everything else it would be:

The Brewer's Handbook (Goldammer) It is available free online at:
http://www.beer-brewing.com/

This single paperback covers most of the information included in all of the texts below and quotes virtually all of them.

The Handbook of Basic Brewing Calculations MBAA, (Holle) covers calculations for the professional and answered some questions I could find answers to nowhere else.

OTHER TEXTS

Primary GERMAN Professional Brewing Textbook:

- Technology, Brewing and Malting (Kunze) 2010

Primary BRITISH Professional Brewing Textbooks:

- Brewing Science and Practice (Briggs) 2004

- Handbook of Brewing (Priest) 2006

- Brewing Microbiology (Priest) 2003

- Handbook of Brewing, (Hardwick) 1976

- Brewing: Yeast and Fermentation (Boulton) 2006

- Brewing (Hornsey) 1999

Primary AMERICAN Professional Brewing Textbooks:

- MBAA Practical handbook for the Specialty Brewer (Ockert) 2005
Vol. 1 Raw Materials and Brewhouse Operations
Vol 2. Fermentation, Cellaring, and Packaging Operations
Vol 3. Brewing Engineering and Plant Operations

- Brewing Yeast Fermentation Performance (Smart) 2003

- The Brewer's Handbook (Goldammer)

- Brewing, Second Edition - (Michael Lewis, Tom Young) 2001

- Essays in Brewing Science, (Lewis & Bamforth) 2006

- The Practical Brewer, 2nd (Broderick) 1977

- Brewing New Technologies (Bamforth) 2006

- Principles of Brewing Science, 2nd (George Fix)

- An Analysis of brewing Techniques (George Fix)

- Beer: Tap Into the Art & Science of Brewing (Bamforth)

- Standards of Brewing: Formulas for Consistency and Excellence (Bamforth) 2002

- Handbook of Basic Brewing Calculations MBAA, (Holle)

- Beer: A Quality Persepctive, (Bamforth)

Primary BELGIAN Brewing Textbooks:

- A Textbook of Brewing, 2 vol. (Jean De Clerck) 1947

Primary FRENCH Brewing Textbook:

- Beers and Coolers (Moll) 1994

From what I understand, Siebel doesn't actually use the DeClerck textbook in any class - they just require it. Of all of the above, it is my least favorite. Much out of date, but still quite interesting.

YMMV - just one guys opinion.

Anything by Dr. Bamforth is well worth the read. He is the leading brewing chemist in the US and he writes with humor. Also, if you ever get to hear him speak, you will laugh your arse off!!!

.... website that covers how to perform calculations

I never really noticed this phrase. At my website, www.wetnewf.org, you will find several monographs with lots and lots of detailed calculations. Your challenge will be to pick out the ones (e.g. Lincoln equation) which are useful and those (e.g. correction of alkalinity corrections to account for ionic strength of water) which are not.

Back