Boiling water with a Kettle for washing yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu4stew

Reaction score
So I would like to begin washing my yeast so that I can build up a yeast bank and re-use my yeast. In the washing yeast sticky on this forum the process is boiling all of the water and mason jars together inorder to disinfect and give you good water.

I have one of those electric kettles (can boil water at the push of the button), could I potentially star-san all mason jars and lids, and then filled with boiled water from the kettle?

It would make life 10x easier. Thanks for your responses and wish me luck with my first yeast wash tomorrow afternoon

The reason for boiling the water is to remove the dissolved oxygen (no oxygen = inactive yeast). People throw the jars in there to sanitize them at the same time (two birds, one stone).

You could definitely sanitize the jars with StarSan if you wanted, it would work fine.

Back