Boiling mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluedog

Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying decoction, but I've always been told never to boil the mash or tannins would ruin the beer. Is this right?

You boil the thickest part of the mash keeping it from scorching while you are doing it. And due to pH issues ( I think ) tannins don't come into play. Noonans book New Brewing Lager Beer has a great section on decoction in it.

Water chemistry (particularly PH) has more to do with tannin extraction than temp. There's also usually relatively few husks from which to extract tannins in the portion being boiled.

I love decoctions for malty rich beers, and think it's imperative for a good Bohemian pilsner.

You pull the decoction from the thickest part of the mash, so you're boiling the grains and not much liquid. This keeps the pH in the proper range to avoid tannin extract.

Temperature isn't that much of a player in tannin extraction, but pH IS.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the thickest part of the mash" could you expound on this a little further? I've been considering a decoction for an upcoming oktoberfest, but am a little intimidated by it

I'm not sure what you mean by "the thickest part of the mash" could you expound on this a little further? I've been considering a decoction for an upcoming oktoberfest, but am a little intimidated by it

Usually you remove a portion of the grist such that there is little to no standing liquid above the grains, so it's thicker than the overall grist of the mash. For example, if you were to mash in at 1.5 qts/lb, the decoction portion might be closer to 1qt/lb or even less.

A single decoction to reach mash out is very simple and easy to do. Even the more complex decoctions aren't all that difficult or complicated, mostly just more labor intensive. Kaiser has a good write-up and corresponding youtube videos about decoction mashing here-
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Decoction_Mashing

Scoop out the specified amount with a large kitchen strainer, you now have the thickest part of the mash.

_

yup, just scoop with a slotted sppon and let the liquid drain out. put that grain into a pot and boil. as the boil starts, the absorbed liquid from inside the grain will come out and thin the mash during the boil. stir constantly to prevent scorching. pour contents back into the mash once sufficiently boiled. I usually boil for 15-20 minutes.

Wow, thanks.

I was assuming you collected a predetermined volume of runnings and boiled them, which is why the thick vs. thin bit was throwing me. I will go back and re-read palmer's section on decoctions, it appears I've missed a thing or two

You know, it's funny, we always seem to make things harder than they really are. It's quite simple once you give it a go...

As for the volume, yes, you need to get the correct amount. Remember, it's almost like a multi-step infusion mash. Your goal is (typically) to decoct enough to get to the next rest temperature. If you're using something like BeerSmith, then there's an option to decoct and it'll help tell you the volume you'll need to collect for the decoction.

Again, it is MUCH easier than you think. Give it a try. I'd recommend watching one of the videos to help you see it. I'd also recommend listening to this podcast from BrewStrong: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/527

Kai has some TERRIFIC guides, lessons, experiments and reading materials. The podcast I mentioned talks about double blind taste testing to see what the resulting flavor/feel of the decocted beers is. Strange thing is that most people can't tell the difference. I'm a big fan of trying it for yourself and doing a blind taste test so you have no idea which one is which. See for yourself.

Back