Boil time, & hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaperOnefour

Reaction score
Hello all. So i got myself a 5 gallon extract recipe kit from northern brewer. It's the Karma Citra IPA kit. I've always wanted to try it. The recipe goes as follows. 6lbs golden light LME 1lbs of gold DME, & 0.75lbs caramel 40. The hop schedule is 0.5 oz Centennial @ 60, 1oz Casade @ 20, 10z Casade @ 10, 2oz of cittra @ flameout-10 minute hop stand. Plus 1oz Citra, & 1oz Casade dry hop. I will be brewing this coming Saturday. I have two questions. I will be pressed for time on brew day so question #1 is can i boil for 45min instead of 60min? Question #2 is i would like to add 1oz of Centennial (first hop addition) instead of half an ounce. Can i make these two changes without screwing up the whole recipe, & ending up with a beer that is out of balance?

I have done that one before and it is WONDERFUL.......the smell when you open the fermenter after dry hopping to bottle it will just floor you.....I am a pretty new brewer, but I think the changes you have said you want to make will work just fine.....

I will be doing a Kama Citra again as soon as my Mosaic IPA that is in my mini-fridge comes out. I converted it to all DME and purchased from my local store, so we will see if it is better with DME vs the LME base in the NB kit.

YMMV

Lon

Thanks devil dog. I just finished drinking the Mosaic IPA. It is a really good beer. I think you will like it.

Yep, this is my second batch of the Mosaic. I converted this one to all DME as well (I prefer DME, and I want to buy local as much as possible, and the cost is almost identical) With the conversion, my OG came out identical to the genuine NB kit......And , YES, the Mosaic IPA is really good beer......

YMMV

Lon

fwiw, if you're not using one currently, consider getting mentally invested in one of the recipe builder programs or web sites. Once up to speed on the builder of your choice it can make questions like this one pretty easy to metricize and be able to make the judgement call on the results. In this case, considering Centennial isn't exactly a powerhouse bittering hop even in a good year, cutting the boil time down by 15 minutes while doubling the first hop addition results in close to the same IBUs...

Cheers!

Thanks again day tripper. I really appreciate all your help. I've been working on creating my own extract recipes. Especially my favorite beer style. ( American red ale) choosing a hop schedule, & choosing what speciality grains to use is the only thing that jams me up. When it come to IPA's i like them more hoppy than bitter. My red ale i like to be low on bitterness, very hoppy, with a caramel, & fruity flavor.

Question #2 is i would like to add 1oz of Centennial (first hop addition) instead of half an ounce.
When it come to IPA's i like them more hoppy than bitter.
It seems like you're going the wrong direction if you want it more hoppy but not more bitter. (I'm assuming the first hop addition is at the beginning of the boil rather than a hop bursting addition.) Reducing boil time from 60 to 45 minutes only reduces IBUs by 8% according to Tinseth's chart.

Back