Homebrewer just starting out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Trusler

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I'm a home brewer in Sweden and I just put brew No 30 into the fermenter. It's a Geterbrewed all grain, single hop Mosaic kit but I've altered the hop profile by adding 20g of Citra at 15min' 10mins and at the end of boil. I'm also going to dry hop a further 20g of Citra on day two of fermentation. This also has a BRY97 yeast instead of the US-05 the kit comes with. I'm still a relative newbie but I've already learnt the incredible differences in yeast performance and flavour. Hoping to soon brew a recipe that I shall keep wanting to repeat although I have to say the Saison I brewed three weeks ago was pretty good.

Welcome to HBT.
So I'm wondering what style of beer you're brewing that was non-hoppy and you're making it hoppy.

Welcome to HBT.
So I'm wondering what style of beer you're brewing that was non-hoppy and you're making it hoppy.
It was a single hop Mosaic which I have brewed before but the recipe has six hop additions during the boil for a total of 66g of Mosaic. To be honest I found it a little dull last time so I added 20g of Citra x 3 during the last 15 minutes of the boil and I'm planning on adding another 20g Citra as a dry hop. Some of the beers I like are Mosaic and Citra so I just thought I'd experiment a little :) It's a 25L batch so Shouldn't be over hopped I don't think...........

I was wondering too. Looks like it's this 1:
https://www.geterbrewed.com/single-hop-series-mosaic-23-litres-5.6/
  • OG 1053
  • FG 1010
5.6%, 48 IBU
He's turning it into a hop bomb.
That's the one. The single hop series are good for trying the various flavours and I have done this one before. I've actually done all of their single hop range and I like them because they all have the same grain bill just different hops. This time I put the first two hop additions in at the start and then during the last 15 minutes I made 3 x 20g Citra additions together with the Mosaic. I also added an extra 1kg of Crisp Best Malt and I'm also using a BRY97 instead of the US-05 yeast. I'm going to dry hop another 20g Citra tomorrow (day two fermentation) and I hope it comes out okay. I'm expecting around 6.4abv with plenty of body and good hoppiness. We shall see...... :)

Welcome. 30 brews is a great start, that is probably more than I did in my first 10 years although I have been making up for the slow start.
I brew with a mate of mine and we do 25L batches so we end up with an 11L keg each at the end of it all. 30 brews has been about 18 months.....

This time I put the first two hop additions in at the start and then during the last 15 minutes I made 3 x 20g Citra additions together with the Mosaic. I also added an extra 1kg of Crisp Best Malt and I'm also using a BRY97 instead of the US-05 yeast.
So the additional hops and moving one of the original additions earlier will tend to increase the bitterness. But the extra kg of malt will tend to reduce the bitterness:gravity ratio, making it taste less bitter. I hope you'll share your tasting notes - I'm interested in how the bitterness perception turns out. Have you done any calculations to see what the resulting IBUs and BU:GU ratio should be?

So the additional hops and moving one of the original additions earlier will tend to increase the bitterness. But the extra kg of malt will tend to reduce the bitterness:gravity ratio, making it taste less bitter. I hope you'll share your tasting notes - I'm interested in how the bitterness perception turns out. Have you done any calculations to see what the resulting IBUs and BU:GU ratio should be?
No real calculations I'm just going on experience to datewith this grain mix. This should be ready to drink in around a week after I've kegged and carbonated it. It's based on a reasonable

Back