Boil Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooray beer!

Reaction score
I am relatively new at this and have just finished my fourth batch (Belgian style Golden Ale). Most instructions advise to cook the wort at a 'boil'. When I really get a 'boil', the wort has to be at over 190F, more like 200F. I have also heard that cooking at too high of a temp creates less fermentable sugars, creating a sugary beer with a low alcohol content. What is the right 'boil' temperature? Is it at 190-200F or is it more like 170F? Is there even a real difference as to what temperature that it boils at or is it just important that it is boiling?? Any help would be great!

Water doesn't boil until 212*. I know salt lowers the boiling temp, but I dont know about sugars.

Water boils at different temperature related to altitude. I get a boil in New Mexico at just below 200. But boiling is boiling. You want a rolling boil. Temperature in the boil does not effect fermentable sugars. That is mash temperatures and is an all-grain issue, not extract or boiling.

True boils are at 212 F (at sea level). These values can be altered (usually higher) a bit based on what's dissolved in the liquid. You have to make sure that your measuring the temperature of the boil after the whole volume is boiling, which will be quite a bit of time after the initial signs of boiling begin.

A rolling boil at whatever temperature your altitude will support.

[You might be confusing this with temperature control in an all grain mash.]

Thanks for all the helpful info! Has anybody used lower temps? I have a beer fermenting that was cooked at about 175F-185F. How is this going to affect the beer? I didnt really achieve a 'hot break'---there was a slight layer of foam but not much else...

:rockin:

hooray beer! said:
Thanks for all the helpful info! Has anybody used lower temps? I have a beer fermenting that was cooked at about 175F-185F. How is this going to affect the beer? I didnt really achieve a 'hot break'---there was a slight layer of foam but not much else...

Was it a hopped extract?

No, I used LME and added hops according to the schedule.

:off: By the way, who records temps during their boil and what temps do you normally get?

I get 211F at 430 ft., but I don't check it all that often. I was curious when I moved from Sunnyvale, CA Elevation 11 ft.

Back