Boil Over Blues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyuwp

Reaction score
Just had my first boil over. Wonderful experience. I highly recommend it. I started to stir and she just flared up. Absolutly wonderful experience. It'll be even better once I start cleaning. Better start downing the brews now :drunk:

Had one myself earlier this summer, it wasn't that much fun because then I had my obsessive compulsive cleaning roommate freaking out at me. So i just popped open a few to toast my brew! :drunk:

Now you're initiated!! :p
Keep a spray bottle of cold water handy. When the foam starts to rise, give 'er a squirt. Works wonders.

To avoid the boil-over, I momentarily lift the pot from the heat (maybe 2 seconds at most) just enough to get everything to lower. Doing this once or twice seems to elminate the problem.

Anyone see an issue with this? I don't think a brief flash of heat reduction will affect the over wort.

Cheers

Nah. No issue with that. That was also suggested to me at one time, but me being lazy...I find it easier to squirt it with cold water than lift 3 gallons of water that's sitting above waste high. :D

Back