Boil off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primevci

Reaction score
anyone have an idea what a 40qt alumnium pot would boil off over and hour? im messing with BS2 wondering if i want to buy it or not and trying to get it setup thanks...

What is the diameter of your pot? I have a spreadsheet that I downloaded (can't remember where) that estimated my boil off. I have a 15.8 inch diameter 60 quart pot, and it estimated my boil off to be 1.42 gallons/hour, which was pretty darn close. As OneHoppyGuy indicated, you will need to test it with your setup, but at least you can get an estimate.

Boil off depends on how many BTUs you put into the wort. Pot geometry does not really matter. That being said different sized pots might get better heat transfer than others, but burner size and how high you run the burner matter much more.

Boil off depends on how many BTUs you put into the wort. Pot geometry does not really matter. That being said different sized pots might get better heat transfer than others, but burner size and how high you run the burner matter much more.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better.

Back