Boil Off Rates?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgtg

Reaction score
Just an unformal question, how much water do you find yourselves losing when you boil?

I have a 16 quart kettle for partial boils and I think I remember losing 2 quarts in a one hour boil..what about the rest of you?

When I boil I use a small fan pointed at the wort. I have boiled down over a gallon in an hour doing it this way. but 2-3 qts sounds about right for a vigorous boil.

Nice setup Beermaker - I like the electrical tape on the gas line tee....stops leaks so well, doesn't it?:D

I like the whole idea of using a brew stand, particulary the control aspect of it - solenoid valves, temp sensors, etc, but I don't have a garage, so it would be totally outside on the lawn - not something I want to do - so it is brew inside, boil outside for me still.

in an hour I boil off almost exactly 1 gallon when starting with a 6.5 gallon batch of wort.

Back