Bochet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Reaction score
Just a warning to anyone interested in making bochet. Do NOT walk away from your kettle. I thought I had time to use the john a enter some notes in the computer yea right. In that time the honey dried out and ( I think couldn't tell too much thick smoke) caught fire. I may have ruined my kettle. PBW can't get it clean. I am trying an industrial condensor coil cleaner to eat it up. I hope it works. Thought I would post so nobody would make the same mistake. Good luck
Cheers
Kev

Not to mention that honey can boil over in a moment's notice. Good advice here.

Bearmaul said:
Not to mention that honey can boil over in a moment's notice. Good advice here.

I guess you had a not so good experience as well?

The only thing that is left in my kettle is crystallized sugar. Any resemblance to honey or caramel is long burned away. I am going to try one other industrial cleaner. If that doesn't work, it looks like I'll have to get a new kettle.
Cheers
Kev

WVMJ said:
Post a picture of it first to properly warn folks. WVMJ

That would have been a good idea had I thought of it. I might do it if the chemicals fail to get the job done. I'm about to go out back with my scrub brush for another round.
Cheers
Kev

I still think water would eventually get to it. If not, you may be able to sell the pot to some candy shop since thats what they'll do with it anyways.

Might try that tonight. I can't sell to candy shop ( or give it to them for that matter) because it was a keg and a pastry chef told me that it is highly likely that the crystallized sugars will impart flavors to everything else that is cooked in it.

Ok, well that did help somewhat, it did not do the job (boiling water). I filled my kettle with 6 gallons of water after I rinsed out any chemicals. Boiled off about 3 gallons and scrubbed so more. I was surprised at what did come off, but not enough to continue. At this point I have to ask: what is my time worth? How much more money am I going to spend on chemicals and propane to get this thing clean? As opposed to what it will cost to purchase a new ( to me) keg and turn it into a kettle. I think that over time I could clean this (& with enough money), but I need a kettle now to keep production going. So I am going to cut my losses. I hope that others will learn from my mistake. Thank you all for your suggestions.
Cheers
Kev

Ok, well that did help somewhat, it did not do the job (boiling water). I filled my kettle with 6 gallons of water after I rinsed out any chemicals. Boiled off about 3 gallons and scrubbed so more. I was surprised at what did come off, but not enough to continue. At this point I have to ask: what is my time worth? How much more money am I going to spend on chemicals and propane to get this thing clean? As opposed to what it will cost to purchase a new ( to me) keg and turn it into a kettle. I think that over time I could clean this (& with enough money), but I need a kettle now to keep production going. So I am going to cut my losses. I hope that others will learn from my mistake. Thank you all for your suggestions.
Cheers
Kev

Some further googling of cleaning caramelized sugars off pans. Very hot water and soap and Time. Seeing how keggles arent cheap, I would give it a few more rounds. Don't give up! If you can just heat it on you're stove as opposed to an outdoor burner it could save you on the propane costs, or at least would be added to your gas bill. The water doesn't need to be boiling I guess, just hot enough to get the sugars to slowly dissolve.

Or you could give your local metalworking shop a call and see if they can blast it clean, there are different blasting materials, some rough which would be bad and some that are like smooth balls I think they use on aluminum. Bring over a few bottles with you and they might even let you run the blaster. WVMJ

They might use something like walnut shells because they have aggressive sharp edges but are soft enough not to gouge the aluminum.

MarshmallowBlue said:
bottom line, don't you dare throw out that pot. If all else fails, get into the candy making hobby.

Do you want it? If so pm me, I'll give you my address. You can come pick it up. I will not sell it or use it. I just thought I'd give you first dibs on it. If not I will post it in the classifieds on this site.
Cheers
Kev

Back