Bochet GROUP BREW - Solera Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still trying to decide whether to use the stovetop, crock pot or sous vide method.
Stovetop works well if you have a big enough pot and you just let it slowly take its time. Once again, a heat diffuser or griddle under the pot helps make it an even heat.

Since the spouse is asking for me to make another Marshmallow bochet, I won't be using that oak barrel. I ended up getting another used whiskey barrel and dumped about 3 liters of Costco Scotch in it to condition it and swell it up... it will also provide some flavor for my Solera Gen 1 and maybe Gen 2.

Did you ever post your final recipe for this? I remember being very intrigued by the ingredient list.🤔
I haven't while I'm tinkering with it and this 3rd batch will be different and probably use cacao tincture in place of the actual toasted nibs. I'm trying to work it all out.

The first batch was too light on the nibs. The second a bit too chocolate heavy, though that has faded back a bit and closer to my liking. I'm thinking that the tincture might provide a finer level of control though I haven't tried it before. I'll post the first version soon.

The second a bit too chocolate heavy, though that has faded back a bit
I noticed chocolate does eventually tend to fade.

I'm thinking that the tincture might provide a finer level of control
I really like the tincture idea. Now that I have those flip top bottles you shared, I want to do different tinctures with different toast levels of chocolate.

Just checking on the Bochet and noticed it has cleared significantly over the past few days, still off gassing steadily if not finishing fermentation, I'll plan on checking gravity tomorrow most likely. Tiny and medium bubbles are still floating up from the yeast cake which has settled nicely, looking like vertical stripes in the pics, looking forward to checking on this tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20240211_204834510.jpg
    IMG_20240211_204834510.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240211_205024945.jpg
    IMG_20240211_205024945.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
We are at 1.000 gravity with a clean, sweet caramel aroma in the hydrometer, off gasing is even slower today. I need to prep a carboy and rack this for clearing and spices, very happy with how clean this ferment has gone and will definitely be using temperature control in the future.

Bochet for Solera project was racked from two separate 5 gallon carboys off the lees.

I'm not sure but there might have been a bit of a pellicle haze in each. Both were racked under the haze and I sacrificed more than I wanted to try and avoid it.

I have about 6 gallons of it to go to an oak barrel if it doesn't start up with some kind of pellicle in the carboys it was racked to. The two plastic carboys that they were racked out of have been cleaned and marked to note possible pellicle contamination.

Time will show.

@MightyMosin ..

Where did you get the nozzle for the pure O2 tank?
Also, how long do you purge the must or starter with pure O2? Seconds? Minutes? Hours?

I currently just use an air pump meant for adding O2 to a fish tank with (two) 0.5 micron SS diffusion stones, just using the same air we breathe, but never stepped it up to pure O2.
I'm just curious how much of a difference it would make for my ferments.

Thank you, in advance, if you do reply.
Happy meading 😎

I use this kit, but with the .5 micron stone. This is used with the small disposable O2 containers you get at a hardware store.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/oxywand-oxygenation-kit-2-micron.html

I will be adding this to the kit so I can meter the flow
https://www.morebeer.com/products/oxygen-flow-meter-duotight-fittings.html

Pulling from my Yeast Notes post
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/my-yeast-notes.703752/

you get this info:

Once your must is greater than 1.092 SG, using oxygen should be considered mandatory for proper yeast health; a must with a SG above 1.083 will benefit from additional oxygen somewhere between 12 to 18 hours after yeast pitch as this will increase fermentation speed and yeast attenuation. This second dose can speed fermentation by as much as 33%.

Aeration while using oxygen will provide an oxygen level in the must in the range of 8-10 PPM. Using a ½ micron stone will provide the desired oxygen levels.
Hand stirring the must will provide an oxygen level of ~4 PPM.
Aeration with a drill and wine degasser can provide an oxygen level approaching 8 PPM.
A filtered air pump with an aeration stone will provide ~8 PPM after ~60 minutes.

Method of Aeration for 5 gallonsOxygen PPM
Shaking for 5 minutes2.71 PPM
Pure 02 for 30 seconds5.12 PPM
Pure O2 for 60 seconds9.2 PPM
Pure O2 for 120 seconds14.08 PPM
The above O2 numbers are with ½ micron aeration stone at 75F. This is from test data by White Labs.
I see that my original notes post doesn't have the flow rate listed. That rate should be 1L per minute.

Last edited:
I use this kit, but with the .5 micron stone. This is used with the small disposable O2 containers you get at a hardware store.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/oxywand-oxygenation-kit-2-micron.html

I will be adding this to the kit so I can meter the flow
https://www.morebeer.com/products/oxygen-flow-meter-duotight-fittings.html

Pulling from my Yeast Notes post
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/my-yeast-notes.703752/

you get this info:

I see that my original notes post doesn't have the flow rate listed. That rate should be 1L per minute.
Thank you very much. This is some great information that I will definitely incorporate into my practices.
I just ordered the wand & flow meter for my mead lab:mischievous::thumbsup:🧑‍🔬🧫🧪⚗️

Today was 1 month to the day for our Gen 1 primary and it was time to rack. Activity has all but stopped and I like to transfer with some co2 still degassing to keep an oxygen barrier, haven't found co2 setup in my shopping cart yet. Transfered to a full 3 gallon and above the shoulders on a 1 gallon, lost 4 cups to the slurry out of 4 gallons, could've pulled a bit more but planning to experiment with the 1 gallon and the headspace is useful. Color is about a 14-16 srm and one of the cleanest ferments I've done, smooth caramel and honey on the nose with a fruity note on the end. Thought about starting a new batch on the yeast cake but need to prep for a braggot.

Attachments

• IMG_20240214_142523399.jpg
    IMG_20240214_142523399.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240214_142557600.jpg
    IMG_20240214_142557600.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Finally got mine startedIMG_20240215_235825612.jpg
Took it slow and spent almost an hour getting it past the 220 mark after about 45 minutes started preheating the oven for dinner and the temp shot up into the 280s took me awhile to figure out why; even on the lowest setting it swayed between the 240s and 250s, ended up calling it around the 2
hour mark
IMG_20240215_173112685.jpg
Final colour drop next to original
IMG_20240215_173716305.jpg
Wasn't able to get an accurate gravity reading, I'll have to get one of those wine whip drill attachments for next time, but according to gotmeads calculator I should get a little over 14% if the yeast eats it all.

Glad to see it Barzahl, oven heat transferring through the stove top on ya? My stove does as well but haven't experienced that yet, I tend to borrow the kitchen in between wife's occupation to keep out of the way.

Did you manage to get any honey mixed into the water or is it still separated, as it looks in the carboy photo? I've never tried it but have read a few articles about yeast still being able to eat through it if it's not fully mixed so everything should be good.

Did you manage to get any honey mixed into the water or is it still separated, as it looks in the carboy photo? I've never tried it but have read a few articles about yeast still being able to eat through it if it's not fully mixed so everything should be good.
Yeah, the reading was just over 1.050, I always pour part of the honey in then put water in the honey jar and shake it til it mixes to make it go down the funnel faster, I've had honey drop to the bottom before and it goes away in a few days, as i understand it the honey is "dryer" than water so it slowly absorbs it

Even if you don't mix it, the yeast will eventually eat through the honey... but it will take a bit longer. I image that would through the TOSNA type of schedule out the window.

I'm not sure, but I guess I would likely just add all the nutrients up front at this point.

I'll have to get one of those wine whip drill attachments for next time
That is a solid idea as that can whip in a lot more O2 than just shaking the carboy around. That O2 will get you a better yeast colony and a faster ferment.

The whip would also help with mixing things thoroughly so you can have an accurate gravity reading, looks like a 5 gallon carboys, how much honey/water did you use? That could get you a rough estimate for O.G. and possibly give an idea for nutrients if you haven't front loaded everything.

I'm not sure, but I guess I would likely just add all the nutrients up front at this point.
Alright I'll throw the rest in later today when I aerate it
That is a solid idea as that can whip in a lot more O2 than just shaking the carboy around. That O2 will get you a better yeast colony and a faster ferment.
I actually use a spoon or spatula handle and mix it til the foaming slows then go back and forth for 15-20 minutes to get it more air

The yeast loved the big dose of nutrients, had some water coming out the airlock

I usually stop aerating after the 3rd day would it be beneficial to do it longer?

20240215_143721.jpg
Came in a lot lighter than expected, as it looked so dark in the fermenter. It's right at 15%, dry but a nice residual sweetness, can't put my finger on the light flavor - not Carmel or strong, but something mellow. Racked to a keg for some more bulk aging, these were the excess.

Bochet for Solera project was racked from two separate 5 gallon carboys off the lees.

I'm not sure but there might have been a bit of a pellicle haze in each. Both were racked under the haze and I sacrificed more than I wanted to try and avoid it.

I have about 6 gallons of it to go to an oak barrel if it doesn't start up with some kind of pellicle in the carboys it was racked to. The two plastic carboys that they were racked out of have been cleaned and marked to note possible pellicle contamination.

Time will show.
Racked these into an oak barrel that I previously used for my Marshmallow Bochet... Noticed during racking that there was a slight pellicle present in the 1 and 5 gallon carboy. I racked under it but obviously it will come back and I just tainted the oak barrel... bad mistake on my part there.

I've already set the tainted plastic fermenters aside so I won't use them again and mess up another batch. Chances are that I'm just going to start this project over.

Racked these into an oak barrel that I previously used for my Marshmallow Bochet... Noticed during racking that there was a slight pellicle present in the 1 and 5 gallon carboy. I racked under it but obviously it will come back and I just tainted the oak barrel... bad mistake on my part there.

I've already set the tainted plastic fermenters aside so I won't use them again and mess up another batch. Chances are that I'm just going to start this project over.
Tough break, never fun to find an issue floating on a long standing batch. Part of the reason I leave things separated so long is the concern for contamination in an aging batch.

Back