Bochet Cyser backsweetening advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Made a few of these over the years and never quite been satisfied with the results. Have some finishing up fermenting now and looking for some advice. In the past, I've either cooked the honey too long and wasn't happy or the yeast I used took it down to being bone dry and I wasn't happy with that either. This time around, I'm hoping to find a happy medium but seems everyone tends to make these a bit different. Recipe is below. What I'm looking for is the proper backsweetening ratio to get a good balance of apple flavor along with the flavors from the burnt honey.

1 Gallon Apple Juice
1 lb Orange Blossom Honey (cooked to a color comparable to coffee in a clear glass)
US05 dry yeast, re-hydrated
OG - 1.068
FG - (not quite done but expect the US05 will take it down to 1.002-1.005)

Want to backsweeten with both a little bit of AJ and/or AJ concentrate and more "burnt honey." Wouldn't call it burnt but cooked to a deep brownish color. I realize I can add both incrementally and stop wherever I seem to like it. Might be that the honey alone will bring back some of the apple flavor, just not sure which approach is proven to produce what I'm looking for. Was hoping for some experienced guidance.

I can't give e you guidance, but unless(and this is the impossible part) you can describe exactly what you are looking for, no one can tell you how to achieve it. My advice is mix your juice and honey till you have a strong version of what you want, then add it to your brew till you are happy(ish). Keep detailed notes and refine your recipe with each try.

Last edited:
I think what you are finding (and I would tend to agree) is that the "burnt" or darkly caramelized honey will overwhelm the apple flavor you are looking for. The flavors you are bringing are very strong and apple flavor especially after fermenting is not. Consider trying a less robust caramelization or something like Bakers Honey or Buckwheat honey as they typically are a lot darker and richer than more traditional honeys. good luck trying to balance the flavors I for one would be interested in hearing how you progress.

DISCLAIMER - Take this as intended and understand I have not tried a Bochet Cyser and cannot speak to them from personal experience. I have done a hand full of Bochet Mead and due to the flavor of the honey only pair them with dark fruits like currents, boysenberries or my favorite chilies like Guajillo or the like that are used for more of the common Mole's.

Although many of us on the forum do both ciders and mead and watch both forums you may want to re-post on the Mead forum as well.

There are a few homebrew tricks you can use:
--Back sweeten with FAJC an amount that you will drink in a week or so, keep it cold in the refrigerator and drink it before the yeast kicks off again.
--Do the same but pasteurize bottles using the stove top method
--Back sweeten with lactose (won't add to the apple flavor you're looking for)
--Use an apple flavoring like Brewer's best or Lor-ann. Note that some people notice an artificial back taste if you use too much, but some people use those flavorings without issues.

One way to do things is when you mix your must before you pitch yeast/nutrients is sample a bit and if you like it keep enough in the fridge to backsweeten the total volume when it's finished. If more apple is what you're wanting, like myself, I simply backsweeten with the same juice after stabilizing. A bit of aging and it comes out just how you want. If your bochet is to smoky I can offer some advice there. Cysers and bochets are my go to preferences, and had a lot of experience, only now really experimenting with out of the box ways to do it.

I've made a lot of cider over the years.

1-2 days after using Potassium Sorbate in the cider I add 1 can of AJ Frozen Concentrate to back sweeten and add apple flavor back into a 5 gal batch. 1.5 cans is a go also (depending on your taste), but 2 cans add too much body and makes it cloying.

After a lot of reading, I am getting ready to MAKE and add a bochet to my just finished batch TONIGHT after dinner. I will choose to use a LIGHT BOCHET (around 10 mins/light caramel color) just to change the flavor for an outdoor wedding & reception this weekend. The high temp forecast is 72F. I am also thinking about adding some (real) vanilla extract to it after adding the bochet.

Back