Blueberry Wheat recipe crituque/suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RchanceN

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this will be my first AG brew :rockin:. I'm using the converted 5gal round cooler method with SS braided hose in the bottom.

Ingredients:
5lbs White wheat (torrified)
4lbs Belgian pilsener
.5lb Carapils
1oz Tettnanger for 60min
.5 oz Saaz for 10min

Yeast: Wyeast German Wheat ACT3333

49oz can of Oregon blueberry puree in secondary for a few days. I'm hoping this will add some blue color and moderate blueberry flavor. If the yeast ferment the flavor out too much I'm thinking I'll add 2-3 oz of blueberry extract at bottling time.

Planning on mashing at 154F for 60 min and batch sparging. Any thoughts?

You are pushing the diastatic power of the pils. I would have gone with some malted wheat since it has the enzymes to convert itself. Some rice hulls might be a good idea as well, all that huskless grain might make your first sparge a bit painful.

Make sure to give your yeast enough time to ferment out the blueberry sugars before bottling, ~1-2 weeks. The yeast and fruit character should work well together, good luck.

Thanks Oldsock, so decided to swap the .5lb of carapils for 1lb of 2-row for the enzymatic power and add a pound of rice hulls to help avoid a stuck sparge.

My idea was to give the blueberry puree only a short time in the secondary to help keep more of the blueberry flavor in the beer. Is this a bad idea? Would the extra unfermented sugars from the puree end up being fermented in the bottles and create bottle bombs?

Exactly, unless you are killing the yeast with chemicals or heat the cells in suspension will keep fermenting the sugars.

Back