blueberry kolsch??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showtime24

Reaction score
I just brewed a kolsch yesterday and it is in primary.

i bought some sea dog blueberry the other day and my wife loved it, i was just wondering if the kolsch would be good to add blueberrys in the secondary and exactly how do you do it?

Kolsch is a pretty neutral beer, however I like to keep my kolsch's traditional in every sense... You would be better off making an American style wheat beer and then using a blueberry concentrate or something to that effect at bottling/kegging...

Also you can get some blueberry aroma from Corriander used at 5 mins and flame out/whirlpool.

ok, so if you think the kolsch would be better off left alone i guess i will do an american wheat in two weeks. i have to check with my LHBS to see if they carry the blueberry concentrate that you are talking about

There are a few methods to accomplish blueberry flavor or aroma. By no means do you have to go by my method...

You could secondary ontop of some frozen, then thawed, blueberries... That would surely impart some flavor into the beer...

I think there are also some commercial examples of blueberry kolsch's out there. I just like to keep them pure thats all.

Wow, stumbled on a 6 year old thread! I'm considering a blueberry kolsch. Something tells me it'll work with the delicate kolsch character. I'm thinking 80% Pils or domestic 2 Row, 20% wheat and blueberries post-primary. Also 15(ish) IBUs with magnum for subtle, neutral bittering.

Latest posts

Back