Blue Moon clone has strong fruity bite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logzor

Reaction score
I brewed a Blue Moon clone awhile back, it's been in bottles for about 4 weeks now, it fermented for 3 weeks.

The first couple sips have this strong fruity off-flavor bite to it. If I let the beer sit for about 5 minutes before taking a sip this flavor tends to fade away.

What could potentially be causing this? The fermentation temp shouldn't have gone above 72 on this brew. So I don't think high temps cause the problem.

I'm thinking maybe something was goofy with the spice packet.

Anyways I enjoy drinking this beer I just want to figure out what's causing the weird initial flavor.

Have one sitting in primary now, will be interested in hearing what you are able to figure out. What recipe/yeast did you use? I brewed the AHS extract kit with the WLP400.

It was one of the smack-packs, I can't remember which one it was.
Blue Moon uses a neutral yeast like WYeast 1056. Did you get your yeast as part of a kit? If so it may have been a belgian yeast. That will definitely give you a "fruity bite".

Don't know if you have but this is a great thread and one of the original brewers of BlueMoon at Coors discusses it
Wayne1 I believe was his name.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blue-moon-clone-65328/

Latest posts

Back