Blue Moon Belgian Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny thing. I had a BLUE MOON at a local bar and posted on here that I did not get the hype.. not a great beer IMO. I was asked to brew a Blue Moon clone and got on here and researched a recipe and Wayne1 talked me through the recipe and process. This is one of my favorite beers I make and I have made probably 25 gallons so far and have 5 to bottle whenever I get around to it. I have no idea what the difference is as I haven't had a commercial version since that first one.

BLUE MOON CLONE 10-1-10
5 LB 2 ROW
4 LB WHITE WHEAT MALT
1 LB FLAKED OATS
.5 LB RICE HULLS( optional)

Mashed with 1.25 qts per lb of grain at 154 degrees for 60 minutes.
Double sparged to 6.5 gallons . ( 1.5 gallon boil off)

60 minute boil
1 oz hallertau @ 60
.17 oz coriander @15
.5 oz Valencia orange peel at 5
Pitched s-05
OG 1.060
Transferred to cold crash 10-16-10 SG= 1.012
Excellent beer

THERE YA GO...not great notes but simple enough. You will notice I use s-05 that was per WAYNE1's instructions...it works beautifully. allows the orange and coriander to come through nicely.

Blue Moon was a great beer imo until I started brewing. Most comercial beers just taste off to me compared to their homebrew counterpart. I am sure i am not the only one who feels this way. I brewed a Belgian white that was supposed to be close to a blue moon and my homebrew blew the blue moon out the door.

Thanks OHIOSTEVE!

Blue Moon was a great beer imo until I started brewing. Most comercial beers just taste off to me compared to their homebrew counterpart. I am sure i am not the only one who feels this way. I brewed a Belgian white that was supposed to be close to a blue moon and my homebrew blew the blue moon out the door.

I'd agree that I don't look at a lot of beer the same any longer, but I still really enjoy many of these of beers. Just as I really enjoy eating at high end restaurants but also like to grab a hot dog and fries as well.

Back