Blown off blowoff tube/stopper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I came home this morning to my viciously fermenting carboy - minus blowoff tube and stopper. Upon evaluation of the evidence, I theorized that what must have happened was, clumps of hops probably clogged in the neck of my carboy and stopped the CO2 from escaping via blowoff tube, causing pressure to build, and then eventually sometime overnight, to pop off- rather violently, as it looks. Two questions.

One- I decided to simply rinse the residue from my stopper/blowoff tube in sanitizer and re-cap the carboy. It sits in a closed closet, in my room where the door is always shut, and I figured that without nearly any airflow, microbes would have had somewhat of a hard time finding their way in there, and, since I'm working out of town this week, my best bet was to let my primary finish and see what it tastes like afterward. Any guesses on what the chances of survival of the beer could be? Anyone ever had anything like this happen before?

Two- Any input on the straining hops/not straining hops after the boil? This is my third beer, which I hope will become a Kristallweizen, should it survive. My first was a double IPA, with more than twice the volume of hops which I did not strain from the wort, and it turned out phenomenally and also didn't blow the stopper from the carboy. My second was a wheat, also unstrained, which with I didnt have this problem, and same volume of hops, but its still bottle conditioning so I havent tasted it other than when I bottled, and it tasted a little sour or tart, but not bad. Thoughts?

Nylon mash bags ("hop bags") will keep the hops contained/separate before transfer to the fermenter. They also make cheap, disposible, "cheesecloth" bags to get the same effect. Also, your beer produces a protective CO2 zone in the top of the carboy. Few critters can drift in there without getting killed. You are okay.

Sweet. I thought I might be. Thanks for the reply.

Anyone have input on off tastes due to leaving the hops in your wort during primary? The IPA I made was delicious, and I left them all in, but then again its an IPA. I haven't tasted the wheat yet, where I used the same technique.

Sweet. I thought I might be. Thanks for the reply.

Anyone have input on off tastes due to leaving the hops in your wort during primary? The IPA I made was delicious, and I left them all in, but then again its an IPA. I haven't tasted the wheat yet, where I used the same technique.

done it both ways and doesnt change flavor.. its more a preference to filter or not.. it all drops out anyways.. it was probably the hops clogging the tube that lead to the blow off due to the size restraint from the stopper.. my buddy uses hose where the od fits perfect inside the top of the carboy and he also drills out his lids to the same size and uses only blow off tubes..

Edit: forgot to mention he is a hop and break dumper like me...

Your beer will be fine. It happens to me on occasion, usually while I'm sleeping. Not really that big of a deal. I've never really had a problem with a bad batch when this happens, and mine stays in a closet with little airflow as well. That's not to say that all sorts of nasties can't get in there anyways, but I think you'll be fine.

Back