blow off problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I started a 1 gal batch yesterday of a dark apple gruit. Everything looked great when I went off to bed around 11. This morning found the airlock blown out of the bung and a mess. First time this has happened to me. Now I am a bit worried if the brew got ruined by being without airlock for several hours.

I know in wine fermenting, the first few days are fine in an open bucket because there is so much gas being produced. Would the same be the case with my wort? Would there have been enough gas production, pouring out that little bung hole, to keep the wort safe? I am thinking yes, but would like reassurance from more experienced brewers.

you should be ok, did you clean it real good and sanitize everything.
the active ferment should of kept it protected like you said.
I had a Hefeweizen blow the bung right out of my carboy a few times for 3 days, just cleaned everything up and sanitized again every-time. beer turned out great, but lost almost a gallon to the blowoff.

Yeah, that's what I thought based on my wine making which I have more experience at. Thanks for the input Harley!

I'm not a brew expert, but you should be fine.
All that mess and the fact your airlock flew across the room shows you have A LOT of activity going on and lots of CO² so no worries about nasties getting in.
I had this a couple of times and ended putting a sanitised tube on my airlock into a demi John full of star San to be safe.
Star San still still bubbled out the the demi john and onto the floor, but at least it weren't yeast.
I forget what yeast it was, I know it was a white labs yeast for sure, pretty sure it was their Burton yeast, but it was a mess.
Beer was great though in the end, and one of the clearest beers I had made.

Back