DIY airlock or blow off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
What would be some random ways to make your own airlock or blow off? Assume finding tubing is going to be difficult. I plan on trying to ferment some apple juice but I can't get all the required items local. Might be able to have Amazon ship, but figured this would be a good learning opportunity.

It may depend on what type of fermenter you have, and what you may already have... I made my first first blow-off tube for the glass carboys I used at the time from a regular 3-piece airlock that kept popping off a very vigorous primary, by simply sticking a peice of 1/2" vinyl tubing over the center where that little upturned cup usually sits, and for added measure I used my dremel to cut the inner end and get rid of the restricting taper they have. I latet took a bung and drilled a larger hole and stuck a piece of 5/8" SS tube through and ball-and-peen'd the inside.
What are you fermenting in?

I am going to use a 5L PET container I found at local market. It states they are "unbreakable". We'll see. I found the two items below. Spigot and tubing for pretty cheap. The fermenter is just under $3. I plan to get three of them since the spigot is pack of 4. I'll use one as a spare.

Tube
Spigot

You don't need an airlock or blow off tubing, just leave the lid on loosely so the fermentation gasses can escape. If they can't, or are enough restricted: Booom!

You can also put a Starsaned (or other sanitizer) soaked, then squeezed out small, folded-over washcloth over the opening.

I am going to use a 5L PET container I found at local market. It states they are "unbreakable". We'll see. I found the two items below. Spigot and tubing for pretty cheap. The fermenter is just under $3. I plan to get three of them since the spigot is pack of 4. I'll use one as a spare.

Tube
Spigot
What are you gonna use that tubing for?
Are your fermenters already pre-drilled for that spigot?

Since you're getting your fermenters for cheap ($3 sounds like a steal), they are only 5 liters (1.3 gallons). That's good for 1 gallon fermentations, leaving 1/5 of headspace.
Get at least 4, or even more of them. Fermentations can take 2-4 weeks, easily. You want to build up some reserve, and not run out before the next gallon batch is ready.

Can you post a picture of one of those fermenters?
Do they come with lids?

Last edited:
Assume finding tubing is going to be difficult.
What are you going to use it for? Racking tubing? Do you have a racking cane or siphon?

Vinyl tubing of different diameters can be bought at most hardware stores, by the foot. You really don't need all that much of it.
For blow offs a minimum of 1/2" ID is recommended. The other end goes into a jar with some water or sanitizer.

934881_main.png

Here is the container. 5L since I am only doing 1gal. Experiments!
Tube I figured to connect to the spigot, which I'll put on the lid. Not using the spigot to drain.

I am only getting 3 as I won't be shipping them home.

Assorted vinyl and silicone hose comes in handy for alot of things, I use 1/2" silicone hose, a Mason jar with rot gut vodka covered with tin foil..IMHO, air locks are more trouble than they are worth, I tried them when I first started brewing and found they either made a mess or need constant minding to be sure they didnt run dry, explode or suck back.

What would be some random ways to make your own airlock or blow off? Assume finding tubing is going to be difficult. I plan on trying to ferment some apple juice but I can't get all the required items local. Might be able to have Amazon ship, but figured this would be a good learning opportunity.
Stretch a balloon over the top of a gallon jug. When the balloon inflates the fermentation is going on. When the balloon is deflated again fermentation has stopped.

Use a piece of Saran wrap and stretch it over the top of a jar, using rubber bands to hold it on.

Put the lid on your container but leave it just a little loose.

The main points of the airlock is to let CO2 escape without admitting oxygen or bugs. It doesn't need to be complicated.

Here is the container.
When I first started making cider I just poured a little juice out of the 1/2 gallon jug I bought the juice in, added the yeast and replaced the lid loosely so CO2 could get out and bugs couldn't get in. Never had a problem. You can do the same with your containers after you sanitize them. Just loosen the lids a little every few days to make sure you don't have any pressure building up. Good luck!

First gallon down, not bad at all. Second currently fermenting. Filled this one to just under being full and no issues. I just wish I could measure OG/FG. Is there a calculation to find OG from reading the container? 11.5g sugar p/100 ml. These are 1L cartons. Google actually does not know everything, could be user error.

5 min later find this...using 115g/L I get 1.044 SG. I also added 1 Cup of brown sugar so ~177g/L or 1.0679 SG. Might be close but no way of truly knowing.
Brix estimate

Last edited:
Back