Blood Orange IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jond72

Reaction score
Hello all,

So I made a blood orange IPA. In hindsight the recipe was a bit weak - just zest in the boil 5 mins from end. In hindsight it wasn't a good one to choose.

I have the brew in the secondary. I have cold crashed and cleared with gelatine. But really unhappy with the flavour. I wanna up the blood orange massively. So what are my options?

Here's my thoughts...

1) Bring temp back up to 20c. And dry hop with zest from about 8 blood oranges for about 5 days...to give that aroma

2) Bring temp back up to 20c. Dry hop as above...but also add the 'meat' of the oranges in the hop sock (after freezing them). What will happen? Will there be enough yeast to ferment the blood oranges? Should I add some more yeast? Will I get off flavours?

Are either of these any good? Is just the dry hop safer?

What would you guys do?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers.

Vintners Harvest Blood orange puree. Just pour it in.
+1 on this, but as these are pasteurized products you may not get that ZING of bright fresh fruit.

I made an orange IPA and just shredded up the peels with as little pith as possible. Then I did as you said and diced up the meat, again with little pith, and freeze-thawed and added. I probably used about a pound of fruit and in hindsight I think another pound or two would have really done it.

I don't think you need to be concerned with extra yeast. Their should still be plenty in suspension, even if it looks fairly clear, so long as it hasn't been sitting for months.
Note-this was fairly high ABV so I didn't really worry about sanitizing or pasteurizing the fruit. I just plopped it all in and let it sit another week before crashing.

I make a blood orange IPA a couple of times a year. I’ve found the easiest way to add a nice fresh flavor is to zest(wide pieces) of several blood oranges avoiding the pith. Then boil a few cups of water, turn off the heat and add the zest. Let it steep until room temp then add to you beer. You should taste to judge the strength.
You can also do this with ruby red grapefruit and get a really nice flavor without the sharpness of regular grapefruit.

Latest posts

Back