American IPA Blood Moon IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowlersp

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
na
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
na
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Passionfruit, Grapefruit, Citrus
My first IPA recipe after making many extract kits. Named appropriately for the time.

6lbs LME - Light
2lbs DME - Light (Late addition, last 15 minutes of boil)

1lb Belgian - Caramel Pils (Steep for 30 minutes at 155)

Total hops (3 ounces Cascade, 2 ounces Citra, 2 ounces Galaxy) <--- All hops are pellet

1 ounce Cascade @60min
1/2 ounce each of Cascade, Citra and Galaxy @15min
1/2 ounce each of Cascade, Citra and Galaxy @5min
1 ounce each of Cascade, Citra and Galaxy (Dryhop for 6 days after fermentation complete)

fermented in primary for 2 weeks. fermentation temp controlled at 68 degrees. At 2 week mark I dry hopped for 6 days by adding pellets directly to primary (no bag). Bottled on day 20 and tasted just 5 days later. This IPA has much amaze.

IPA_1.jpg

Just thought I'd follow up on the outcome of this beer. I've let family/friends and friends of friends try this beer and I keep getting the same response, "If this was on store shelves I'd buy this over the other stuff". I even had a guy tell me he wants to learn to brew beer just so he can make this! He said this is his 2nd favorite IPA, with his first being Stone IPA. This gives me hope in my beer making abilities, since I am no where near a pro but I can still develop an awesome IPA! I will definitely continue to come up with different IPA's and post them here for you guys to try.

My first IPA recipe after making many extract kits. Named appropriately for the time.

6lbs LME - Light
2lbs DME - Light (Late addition, last 15 minutes of boil)

1lb Belgian - Caramel Pils (Steep for 30 minutes at 155)

HOPS (All Pellets)
1oz Cascade @60min
.5oz Cascade/Citra/Galaxy @15min
.5oz Cascade/Citra/Galaxy @5min
1oz Cascade/Citra/Galaxy (Dryhop for 6 days after fermentation complete)

fermented in primary for 2 weeks. fermentation temp controlled at 68 degrees. At 2 week mark I dry hopped for 6 days by adding pellets directly to primary (no bag). Bottled on day 20 and tasted just 5 days later. This IPA has much amaze.

Here is my stupid question. In adding the hops is it 0.5 oz each of Cascade, Citra and Galaxy or is it 0.5 oz total of the three or is it 0.5 oz of any of the 3
Thanks

Here is my stupid question. In adding the hops is it 0.5 oz each of Cascade, Citra and Galaxy or is it 0.5 oz total of the three or is it 0.5 oz of any of the 3
Thanks

Sorry about the confusion. Hopefully this helps clarify:

Total hops (3 ounces Cascade, 2 ounces Citra, 2 ounces Galaxy)

1 ounce Cascade @60min
1/2 ounce each of Cascade, Citra and Galaxy @15min
1/2 ounce each of Cascade, Citra and Galaxy @5min
1 ounce each of Cascade, Citra and Galaxy (Dryhop for 6 days after fermentation complete)

Enjoy!

Thanks, I brewed a batch of this yesterday and now have in the fermenter. The OG came in dead on at 1.061 but the IBU that Beersmith calculated is something like 57 even without adding the dry hops. You don't list the alphas for the hops you used. Did you calculate with the actuall alphas on your hop package or just go with the usual for that hop strain, Mine were Cascade 7.1%, Citra 12.5% and Galaxy 15.0%.
Thanks
Mike

Thanks, I brewed a batch of this yesterday and now have in the fermenter. The OG came in dead on at 1.061 but the IBU that Beersmith calculated is something like 57 even without adding the dry hops. You don't list the alphas for the hops you used. Did you calculate with the actuall alphas on your hop package or just go with the usual for that hop strain, Mine were Cascade 7.1%, Citra 12.5% and Galaxy 15.0%.
Thanks
Mike

I have attached a picture which displays the Alpha numbers. Its hard to read from this picture but Citra is 12.5, Galaxy is 15 and Cascade is 6.4. Also, dry hopping will not add any IBU's or bitterness to the beer, just aroma and flavor. Hope this helps and let me know what you think about it when you taste it!

hops.jpg

Pretty new to homebrew and this is my fifth batch. I wanted to find a decently simple IPA recipe and I like the way this looked, OG is spot on at 1.061, can't wait to see how it turns out!

So I plan on brewing this in the next few days. Maybe Monday or Wednesday of this next week. Anyway, I wanted to run a partial mash version by you guys to see what you think. My efficiency is generally 65-68%, but I recently acquired a second 5 gallon kettle, so I could conceivably get 70-72%. I'm also bittering with Columbus, because I happen to have a 1/2 oz and that fits the IBU's needed. The pound of caramel malt 60 is to try and hit the color shown in the picture, plus maybe a little bit of malty backbone, not too much.

5 gallons. OG = 1.060
IBU = 58

2.5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 27.6 %
0.5 lbs Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.5 %
0.5 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 5.5%
4.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 2.6 %
3 lbs 4.8 oz LME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Extract 34.6 %
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 16.9 IBUs
2 lbs Light Dry Extract [Boil for 15 min](8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 20.9 %
0.50 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 4.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Galaxy [15.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 1.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 3.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Galaxy [15.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 3.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast w/ starter
1.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs

Please tell me what you think :mug:

Brewed bowlersp original recipe tonight and I'm pumped for the results. Smells great and is getting off to a splendid fermentation. Gotta love the simplicity of this recipe and hopefully it's as good as advertised.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My Blood Moon Ipa has been ready for about 2 weeks. It is GREAT!!. Will be serving it this Saturday at our annual Crabfest. Excellent flavor with a great grapefruit, citrusy flavor. One of the best IPA's. My neighbor has already placed his order for a case.

I agree, mine has about another week to go in bottle, but the sample I sneaked when bottling was amazing! Citrusy and all around scrumptious. Love it. &#128077;&#128077;&#128077;

Had another one last night. This beer just keeps getting better. Thanks to everyone who took a chance at brewing this! It really is an easy and yet very satisfying IPA!

The finished product, I must commend this recipe once again. The nose is insane and citrus flavor is amazing. Here's to you, sir, excellent recipe. I shall be keeping this one on the regular list for sure.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404346129.698443.jpg

The finished product, I must commend this recipe once again. The nose is insane and citrus flavor is amazing. Here's to you, sir, excellent recipe. I shall be keeping this one on the regular list for sure.

Thanks! In the process now of making/ordering my ingredients for a Black IPA recipe I created, can't wait!

Right now it is still a little light on carbonation, but it doesn't matter, it is great. Bitter but not too bitter. Very flavorful, with no weird resin-ey flavor like you get with some commercial IPA.

I'll definitely be brewing it again.

So I plan to brew bowlersp's original recipe later this week but might flip the ME additions around, putting the LME in towards the end of the boil to try and brighten up the color a bit. My last couple of batches where the majority of the ME went in early have come out really dark you see.

I may also change out the yeast and use WL San Diego Super Yeast instead of the US-05 on the nearly evangelical advice of a friend regarding the WL stuff.

The last change I am going to make is the dry hopping - I plan to split the batch into two 2.5 gallon fermentation bottles, the first dry hopping according to the recipe the other will add Amarillo in place of the Galaxy and Cascade. Might not make that much of a difference, but it's what I got on hand...

I know it's all about experimentation but I as a new brewer I would like to know if my plans are waaaay off base and I've missed something important.

All thoughts are appreciated!

Chris

So I plan to brew bowlersp's original recipe later this week but might flip the ME additions around, putting the LME in towards the end of the boil to try and brighten up the color a bit. My last couple of batches where the majority of the ME went in early have come out really dark you see.

I may also change out the yeast and use WL San Diego Super Yeast instead of the US-05 on the nearly evangelical advice of a friend regarding the WL stuff.

The last change I am going to make is the dry hopping - I plan to split the batch into two 2.5 gallon fermentation bottles, the first dry hopping according to the recipe the other will add Amarillo in place of the Galaxy and Cascade. Might not make that much of a difference, but it's what I got on hand...

I know it's all about experimentation but I as a new brewer I would like to know if my plans are waaaay off base and I've missed something important.

All thoughts are appreciated!

Chris

Sounds like you have a solid plan in mind. I have heard good things about late malt extract additions so please keep me posted on how the color came out. If you could post up a picture of the finished product that would be great too. I'm also interested to see you taste test my recipe dry hops versus your recipe of Amarillo and Citra. Let me know how that goes too! Good luck!

Going to be brewing this today, but subbing Amarillo(8.8% AA) for the Galaxy since my LHBS doesn't have any in stock. Also bumping up the Cascades a little to bring up the IBU's a bit to compensate for lower alphas in the Amarillo. So the hop additions look like:

1.5 oz Cascade (7.5% AA) @60 min
1 oz Cascade (7.5%), .5 oz Citra (12.5%), .5 oz Amarillo (8.8%) @15 min and @ 5 min
1 oz each for Dry Hop

IBU's should come out to be about 54.

Also going to be trying out the American West Coast (BRY - 97) yeast too.

Brewed this last night, everything was dead on, this morning only seeing a bubble every min, was it slow to start for you?

Just peeked at it, temp at 70 and bubbling very good! I'm exited for this! I will post the results later.
Thx for the recipe, this is my last extract, going all grain on the next brew!

Uh yes. Just had the finished product out of my keg. This will be brewed again and again until I can brew no more. Followed the original recipe spot on but dry hopped for about 10 days. Came out with a golden mango color with a prominent nose and taste of grapefruit and citrus. Wonderful combination of hops. Gotta brew this one.

Brewed this 2 weeks ago, dry hopped this morning and the taste was awesome! This will be a great beer!!

Subbed. This is going on my loooong list of to-brews xD. Question tho, how would this turn out useing wheat DME? I'm wanting to do a white IPA and this sounds like the perfect hop combo for it.

EDIT: also I might of missed it, but was this a full boil? Thanks!

this was a partial boil for me (2.5 gallons). i think half wheat dme and half extra light/light dme would make an awesome wheat ipa. I may try that soon. If I did that recipe I would try to tone down the abv to around 4.5-5%. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Brewed this on 7-13-14 dry hopped on 7-27-14 transferred on 8-3-14 bottled on 8-6-14 cracked one open tonight for a try on 8-11-14 and it is awesome! I know it will only get better! Great recipe and I will brew again! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407805955.355905.jpg

Brewed this on 7-13-14 dry hopped on 7-27-14 transferred on 8-3-14 bottled on 8-6-14 cracked one open tonight for a try on 8-11-14 and it is awesome! I know it will only get better! Great recipe and I will brew again! View attachment 217196

looks awesome! I have to brew this one again, I've only got a few bottles left :eek:

I have an American Amber that looks like this with a pretty close hop schedule. I think I used Horizon to bitter instead of cascade...no particular reason except I like that hop and I had some on hand. I wish I had either one of those beers on hand...need to get to a brewin'!

I'm curious what would happen if I subbed half of the carapils with crystal 40. Would this be redundant? My thoughts are that the carapils won't give much color or sweetness. I see a lot of posts out there about how carapils is best in pilsners and lighter beers. Is this beer balanced between sweet and bitter with just the carapils? Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm curious what would happen if I subbed half of the carapils with crystal 40. Would this be redundant? My thoughts are that the carapils won't give much color or sweetness. I see a lot of posts out there about how carapils is best in pilsners and lighter beers. Is this beer balanced between sweet and bitter with just the carapils? Anyone have any thoughts?

I've had the same thoughts. If I make this again I will definitely try putting some C40 into this to see if it makes the beer a little sweeter. I think that is a great idea and would not be redundant. maybe try 1/2 lb pils 1/2 C40.

Fermentables
Batch size: 5.5 gal
FermentableAmount
2-Row (US) 6.5 lb 50 %
Munich (BE) 4.0 lb 30 %
CaraRed (DE) 2.0 lb 15 %
Melanoidin (DE) 0.5 lb 3 %
Hops
Boil time: 60 min
HopAmountTime
Horizon (US) 1.0 oz 60 min
Centennial (US) 0.5 oz 10 min
Citra (US) 0.5 oz 5 min
Galaxy (AU) 0.5 oz 5 min
Citra (US) 1.0 oz 4 days
Galaxy (AU) 1.0 oz 4 days
Centennial (US) 0.5 oz 20 min
Citra (US) 0.5 oz 20 min
Galaxy (AU) 0.5 oz 20 min
Yeasts

NameLab/Product
Denny's Favorite 50 Wyeast 1450
Mash steps

StepHeat SourceTarget TempTime
Saccharification RestDirect Heat 153.0 °F70 min
Optional Mash-OutDirect Heat 170.0 °F15 min

Here is my beer that is similar. Great beer. I BIAB and this couldn't be easier. I think this is just a slightly modified version if Denny's Amber Ale with a crap ton of hops. This is an awesome beer. Not sweet at all it's very well balanced. I think my efficiency on this was around 65% so it's a little lower ABV which I like.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409872499.200082.jpg
Really a pretty light amber but it's mighty tasty.

Brewed this for a coast trip my my shop and I are taking in September. Started on the 30th of August, dryhopping today. Can't WAIT to try this beer! I'm an IPA fanatic, and this was too easy for beginner brewers like myself and my husband!

Thank you, thank you! It smells super legit and delicious already! I can't wait to see everyone's reactions!

Latest posts

Back