Blonde Ale not Carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildactbrewer

Reaction score
Hey all,

Bottled a Blonde Ale about 9 days ago and used Corn Sugar to prime and the things are not showing any signs of carbonating. There are a couple of variables that I did with this one that I think may be the issue but I wanted to confirm and hopefully get a solution.

1. I used Gelatin for fining in the secondary. Coupled with a good cold crash the beer was crystal clear when it went into the bottles.

2. It has been UNREASONABLY cold around here this winter. (In Kentucky, we just don't do -11F!!)

My concerns are that it is too cold in the house (57F) for my Wyeast 1272 to be active enough to carb, or that the gelatin actually dropped too much yeast out of the solution.

When bottling, I use the last little bit of beer as a tester. I usually put it in a small mason jar and seal it. That way I can open that a week or so later to check carb level without disrupting any of my bottled beer.

Any thoughts?

Yes and Yes! Yes that the gelatin may have crashed the yeast out and yes to it being too cold for carbonating. You can just let it just let it stay in the bottles for another week or two and see if it carbs up, as it just may be taking longer due to the cold and the vortex has to be lifting sooner or later!

When I use gelatin, I usually add 1/4 of cup of activated dry yeast to the bottling bucket along with the priming sugar.

I've cold crashed and used gelatin and have not had any issues priming.

If the bottles are only sitting at 57 degrees then they are too cold for the little bit of yeast present to do much of anything! Unless you used a lager yeast that is below the normal temp range for any ale yeast to function.

Raise the temps to 70-75 and give them another 2 weeks, they will carbonate:)

Sent from the Commune

Thanks for the replies guys! I had them for 9 days in the cold. I moved them to an area that we keep around 71 and it's been a week and a half. I'm really hoping to have them drinkable by Superbowl!

This beer was for my wife so I can't screw it up! Blondes are a little light for me. I aged a Bourbon barrel porter to serve as my Super Bowl brew. It was a kit that I've been aging for around 3 months now....I can't wait!

Back