Blending

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mateo

Reaction score
I wanted to report on an experiment that I just completed and see if anyone else has done this.

Several months ago I adjusted my grain bill to compensate for low efficiency, and inadvertently I corrected the low efficiency with a technique adjustment. The result was 2 batches of higher than desired gravity. I sucked it up on the first one and enjoyed the full rich beer.

However, I have several family members and friends visiting who have underdeveloped palates and after reading an article on blending at BYO,

http://***********/stories/techniques/article/indices/19-brewing-tips/239-blending-for-volume-techniques

I decided to give it a shot. I calculated 18L at 1.072 OG (1.022FG) blended with 6L of de-oxygenated water for an OG of @ 1.052 and a FG of 1.016.

I used RO water, boiled for 15 minutes and run through a plate chiller into a sanitized corny. The bright beer was closed transferred onto the 6L of water and force carbed.

The result was a spectacular light beer beer with a medium body. The resultant effect on the hops was quite dramatic and diminished the hops character across the full spectrum. Much to my dismay, however, with an appealing slight presence.

The beer has been a great success with all of those less fortunate to have an under developed palate. The original recipe was for a Bohemian Lager and now it is much like a high quality American Light Lager.

It is a beer you can drink liters of and not have to worry about guests over doing it.

This has got me thinking that I can boost my total output by using this method. I would need to greatly increase the hopping rate and carefully calculate the grain bill and mash schedule to accommodate for body dilution.

While I won't be able to boost my volume much more than by 50%. If I brew at 1.080 and blend to make 1.050 beer I can go from 19L to 30L easily.

Does anyone else use this method?

I've fermented in a five gallon carboy then transferred to another one for secondary and topped it off with distilled water. Worked great.

I don't really see that as blending, just diluting. I blended my Extra Stout with a American Rye and made a great American Stout. I Blended the end of that American rye with a Rye IPA and made a excellent Rye Pale Ale. Recently I made a mystery beer for a competition at B3 that I did'nt like much. I blended in a black patent dry stout and made a good robust porter out of it. That's blending.

Back