New England IPA Blasphemy - No Boil NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed up my first attempt at this and it’s already looking great and tasting pretty good (although a bit “green”) after kegging on day 9! Can’t wait to see how this develops after another week. Recipe attached.

Thinking of trying this same recipe again but skipping the oats and adding a 4.4lb bag of pineapple purée in the keg. Anyone done this or have general advice on adding fruit post fermentation?

Attachments

• 21ED4DE9-60E4-4064-9E6D-C7186C1145BE.jpeg
    21ED4DE9-60E4-4064-9E6D-C7186C1145BE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 7673A9BB-7A67-4AC5-94C9-99C809790C1E.jpeg
    7673A9BB-7A67-4AC5-94C9-99C809790C1E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
Thinking of trying this same recipe again but skipping the oats and adding a 4.4lb bag of pineapple purée in the keg. Anyone done this or have general advice on adding fruit post fermentation?

I'm not sure about adding pineapple to the keg, but I have added it to primary after the beer was fermented out. I cut up one fresh pineapple and pureed it. I got about one pound out of it, I think. Secondary fermentation kicked off pretty quick and lasted about three days or so and I kegged it (about five days after adding the pineapple). It was a Citra/Mosaic hazy IPA recipe with added pineapple and vanilla. I was going to add lactose but never got around to it. Turned out good.

There doesn’t seem to be a consensus about the best practices to do a beer like this…. But I want to go for it! Here is my plan, critiques and advice encouraged, but this seems to incorporate what I think are all the best ideas (and of course still stupid easy to do)

Goal 4 gallon batch (fermented in and served from corney with floating and filtered dip tube)

3gallons of RO + 6grams CaCl, heat to 180F. As it’s heating up steep a 1 lb if flaked oats (add at 140 so it’s in for the temp rise). Dissolve 3 lbs of wheat DME and 3 lbs of Pilsner DME aim for 1.065 OG.

Add 4 oz of citra and 3ml of a hop shot (~10 ibus) 20 minute steep at 180. Add 1.5 lbs of ice (from RO) to chill to hopefully to 130 or so. Transfer warm to the fermenter/keg. Let chill overnight to 65.

Pitch 1 pack of dry verdant IPA yeast.
On day 4-5 (as fermentation starts to slow) dry hop with 6 oz of citra. Let ferment finishes out till day 10-14. Stick in in the kegerator to chill and carb for a week.

I mean it all sounds like a great idea to me! Anything else I could do to improve the beer? I might blend the citra with something, but same amounts
Following up, I was really happy with how this came out. I didn’t do exactly what I had planned above, but used most of the ideas, full details in the brewfather recipe below.
Cheaters hazy - Mark Paulick
Brewfather

RO plus CaCl, malted oat partial mash till I dissolved DME, hop stand, chill, verdant in a keg for ferment and serving. Lots of Enigma gave it that bright polyphenol bite that worked really well, I wonder if that wasespecially helpful in a no boil.
315059C7-739D-4A2C-AAF5-D4F649E79C05.jpeg

Last edited:
Just poured to test on day 8 and it’s better than the varied hazies I had at brewdog last night despite being room temperature.

Did a ferment in corny keg with floating dip tube - used the original recipe but did 2 oz citra, 2 oz mosaic, and 3 ml hopshot 180 degree 20 min whirlpool followed by an ounce of citra, mosaic and Idaho gem dry hop on day 3. Used dry verdant yeast for the first time too.

Thanks for the recipe! Will be using again for sure.

Attachments

• B1D90BE4-40DB-4AD0-ADAA-3741EED09618.jpeg
    B1D90BE4-40DB-4AD0-ADAA-3741EED09618.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
This thread inspired me to try a no-boil extract based NEIPA. I'm super happy with the results and decided I'd share them below.

Back With Another One Of Those Phantasmic Beats NEIPA
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.014
ABV: 6.0%

“Grain” Bill
6 lb Pilsen DME

Water
4 gal RO
2 grams CaCl

Whirlpool
20 ml Citra Incognito @160F 20 min
4 oz Phantasm Powder @ 160F 20 min

Yeast
OYL-405 Helio Gazer @ 70F 72 hours, then 73F until FG

Dry Hop
8 oz Nelson Sauvin T90 @ 55F 48 hours

Evaluation
The intense fragrance of guava and passionfruit during fermentation was a good indicator of what the finished beer would taste like. In the glass I found yellow guava, passionfruit, gooseberry, white grape, white grapefruit, honeydew, white peach, and even cucumber. As expected, the low temp whirlpool and use of Incognito yielded little bitterness or astringency, and the aftertaste came off as “minerally”. This quality played into the white wine-like flavors of the beer. My SO summed it well by describing it as tasting like a “guava mimosa”.

10.27.22.jpg

My first No boil and followed @ihavenonickname plan above using recipe by Mark Paulick. Ferment and serve from same keg. Need a fast batch for visit to relatives later this week. Quick carb 35psi 24hr, 24psi 24 hr, 12 psi to finish. Day 6 (photo) needs more time, phenolic, sharp diesel, but very tropical. Should balance out well. Probably not ready by this Friday, but drinkable.
1673280606247.jpeg

My first No boil and followed @ihavenonickname plan above using recipe by Mark Paulick. Ferment and serve from same keg. Need a fast batch for visit to relatives later this week. Quick carb 35psi 24hr, 24psi 24 hr, 12 psi to finish. Day 6 (photo) needs more time, phenolic, sharp diesel, but very tropical. Should balance out well. Probably not ready by this Friday, but drinkable
What yeast did you use that it is Phenolic?

Verdant IPA, 11g pitched full pack at 36 hrs. Today is only day 6 from grain, so I feel more cold conditioning will help over time.

Verdant IPA, 11g pitched full pack at 36 hrs. Today is only day 6 from grain, so I feel more cold conditioning will help over time.
If it’s truly phenolic then it won’t condition out and it let you know you had a infection/contamination as verdant is POF -

Thanks, I’ll let you know how it turns out. Had wrong info above, pitched verdant immediately after chill, then dryhopped Citra and Enigma at 36 hrs.

I wanted to enter a NEIPA into a local homebrew competition coming up in February but don't have time for a full on AG brew day...plus entries have to be received by 1/29. This method seems to fit the bill for my situation!

I brewed up just under 5 gallons today where I steeped some leftover Carapils, Carafoam, malted oat and flaked oat (probably 2 lbs total) at 155-160F for 20 minutes, then added 5lbs of Pils DME and 1lb of Bavarian Wheat DME. Raised the temp to 180F and whirlpooled 3oz of Citra for 30 minutes. Chilled to 70F and pitched a 1L starter of Dry Hop yeast from imperial.

I plan to crash it, drop my yeast, and then dry hop with a mix of T90, Lupomax and Cryo Citra.

I'll report back with how it turns out and if I get it done in time to enter into the competition. Thanks for the inspriation OP!

I wanted to enter a NEIPA into a local homebrew competition coming up in February but don't have time for a full on AG brew day...plus entries have to be received by 1/29. This method seems to fit the bill for my situation!

I brewed up just under 5 gallons today where I steeped some leftover Carapils, Carafoam, malted oat and flaked oat (probably 2 lbs total) at 155-160F for 20 minutes, then added 5lbs of Pils DME and 1lb of Bavarian Wheat DME. Raised the temp to 180F and whirlpooled 3oz of Citra for 30 minutes. Chilled to 70F and pitched a 1L starter of Dry Hop yeast from imperial.

I plan to crash it, drop my yeast, and then dry hop with a mix of T90, Lupomax and Cryo Citra.

I'll report back with how it turns out and if I get it done in time to enter into the competition. Thanks for the inspriation OP!
Homebrew alley?

You did well last year if I remember. It was in May last year right?
Ah my bad, not Malt Madness...War of the Worts. I should know, it is my club that hosts it!

I did OK at both last year, nothing to write home about.

I generally enter the same local comps every year and once in awhile I will throw my hat in the ring at NHC.

Here's a pic of my first pint. Overall I am really happy with how it turned out. It is a touch sweeter than most of my other NEIPAs but not off-putting and is very smooth. I'd never guess it was an extract no-boil if I was tasting it blindly.

Attachments

• 20230131_151032.jpg
    20230131_151032.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Here's a pic of my first pint. Overall I am really happy with how it turned out. It is a touch sweeter than most of my other NEIPAs but not off-putting and is very smooth. I'd never guess it was an extract no-boil if I was tasting it blindly.
Looks great. Nice glass 🔥

Finishing up a DME No boil hazy NEIPA with Omega Cosmic Punch yeast and citra/mosaic wp/dh. Day 12 starting to balance out nicely. A bit too punchy for my taste, although improving each day. This yeast overpowers the hops. Still, a pretty good beer and should only get better with time. No doubt I’ll have plenty of help kicking this keg.

Attachments

• 91241AC4-2206-4746-BF29-141C35FADE17.jpeg
    91241AC4-2206-4746-BF29-141C35FADE17.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in this thread, but I just read the first and last pages and skimmed the stuff in the middle. If you want bitterness, you can get that by making hop tea and adding it to the fermenter. I've done 2 beers like that; the first I did a quick 5 minute boil, and the other was truly no-boil. The hops I normally would add to the kettle at 60 minutes, I just simmered for an hour in a couple of quarts of water in a small pot on the stove while I was mashing the grain.

Perhaps with NEIPA you don't want any bitterness; I don't know, it's not my style. But if you want a little bitterness, this is a good way to get it. I read about this technique used in Lithuanian farmhouse ales, and it works. HTH :)

First pint of my latest no-boil NEIPA. Mosaic Incognito and Nectaron in the whirlpool and Mosaic Cryo and Nectaron in the dry hop. Verdant yeast. It turned out fantastic
20230406_153650.jpg

Congrats! What were the quantities and timings of your dry hop additions?

And what's your process for bottling for competitions?
I do one dry hop after fermentation is complete. I cold crash, dump my yeast, raise the temp back up to 55-60F and dry hop for a day or 2. I like to use a mix of cryo and T90 hops and usually shoot for the equivalent of 7-10 ounces, depending on the beer.

I bottle off my kegerator and make sure to purge the bottles with CO2 and cap on foam. I don't submit my entries until the last day possible and won't enter comps I have to ship entries to (except NHC).

My Pro-Am beer is now on tap and in cans at Warwick Farm Brewing as "King":

View attachment 819527View attachment 819529

It turned out amazing!
Congrats man. I actually heard about this from Adam in your club. I didn’t know it was you he was talking about though. Small world I guess. Congrats man! I actually just had a collab release this week at a brewery too! Homebrewers taking over!!! Lol

Congrats man. I actually heard about this from Adam in your club. I didn’t know it was you he was talking about though. Small world I guess. Congrats man! I actually just had a collab release this week at a brewery too! Homebrewers taking over!!! Lol
Congrats to you too! What brewery and what beer?

Picked up a 4 pack of King. This beer is great. Nice work! Was this beer any different than your homebrew version?
Glad you like it! I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I love Nelson but sometimes it can come across a little too punchy and diesel heavy. I think the Riwaka and Motueka, especially paired with the Citra, gives some of the white grape/diesel character but on a much softer and smoother level.

Obviously, we had to adjust from my original recipe because Warwick wasn't going to do all all-extract, no-boil beer. They also already have an amazing all Citra NEIPA, so I worked with the head brewer and we put together a new recipe.

I initially wanted to do a Citra and Nectaron beer but they were having a hard time sourcing Nectaron. I asked if the could get Motueka or Riwaka and luckily they had great lots of both on hand, so we decided to use both.

Glad you like it! I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I love Nelson but sometimes it can come across a little too punchy and diesel heavy. I think the Riwaka and Motueka, especially paired with the Citra, gives some of the white grape/diesel character but on a much softer and smoother level.

Obviously, we had to adjust from my original recipe because Warwick wasn't going to do all all-extract, no-boil beer. They also already have an amazing all Citra NEIPA, so I worked with the head brewer and we put together a new recipe.

I initially wanted to do a Citra and Nectaron beer but they were having a hard time sourcing Nectaron. I asked if the could get Motueka or Riwaka and luckily they had great lots of both on hand, so we decided to use both.
Wait - you won the contest with an extract no boil beer!?! Bravo. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

First pint of my latest no-boil NEIPA. Mosaic Incognito and Nectaron in the whirlpool and Mosaic Cryo and Nectaron in the dry hop. Verdant yeast. It turned out fantastic
View attachment 817171

My Nectaron and Mosaic no-boil took 2nd place in the category at the Buzz Off Homebrew Competition yesterday. Love these no-boil extract hazies!

Back