Blackberry Mead infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PensivePenitant

Reaction score
My third batch of Blackberry Mead has some pink stuff on the fermenting head (apologies for using the wrong words for this). The smell is not that different from what my other batches have fermented as. Anyone seen anything like this before? The pink....stuff is just in one part and has not grown since about the second day I added the yeast in. I was thinking that because I added the yeast nutrient into the carboy after everything else was added that that was why, but I wanted to see if anyone had noticed something like this before.

DSC00850.jpg

Agree with Tom, looks OK. I would gently rock the carboy or punch / stir the cap to ensure the fruit cap stays moist. The alcohol will help keep the "nasties" from growing.

It may be tannins from the fruit - don't panic. Stir it in and carry on.

what you are seeing is called a "krausen." It is a common beer maker issue, I get one in my ciders or meads whenever I include any kind of real fruit. Just punch it down and keep brewing.

Back