black treacle for priming/Theakston Old Peculier Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
Has anyone used black treacle for priming? If so how much per bottled batch? How much for kegged batch? Would you add corn sugar as well or just Treacle?

Found some Black Treacle online (along with some loose tea I've been looking for).

Thinking about trying an all grain Theakston Old Peculier Clone (Would love to serve on draft, if possible )

Recipe for 5.5 gallons:
10 lbs Pale Malt
15oz Crystal 60lvb
3oz Weyermann Carafa Special III
5oz Chocolate Malt

10oz Brown Sugar in the boil (About 1/2 way through)

.5oz Fuggle ( 4% Alpha) (60 Minutes)
1oz Challenger ( 8% Alpha) 60 Minutes
.25g Fuggle (4% Alpha) Steep

Prime with Black treacle (HOW MUCH??? for bottle? for Keg?)

WLP500 Trappist Ale (saw this yeast listed in several recipes... a bit skeptical... suggestions?)

I would love to serve this on draft.

I would just add it for flavor to the boil or fermenter, that way you can add the right amount (not sure what that is) and leave the priming sugar for what it does best. I primed a beer with molasses (2.75 oz in 2.25 gallons) it worked fine, but didn't impart much flavor. The risk is that something that isn't pure/refined may be more or less fermentable by different strains giving an unpredicable amount of carbonation.

I'd be skeptical on using that yeast as well. I'd go with an English strain, especially on your first try at the recipe. I really like 1968 for dark beers, but there are lots of options. Otherwise your recipe looks fine, good luck.

I posted a break down of how to do it in my bottling thread.

Revvy said:
The October 2010 Basic Brewing radio was all about alternative priming methods, and the guest (who btw, although he is a minister, from michigan, and is an expert on bottling, is NOT ME, but the coincidence is freaky) offers info on calculating how to prime with strange things.

October 28, 2010 - Alternate Priming Sugars
Home brewer Drew Filkins shares his technique of using alternative ingredients to put the bubbles in his brew.

Click to Listen-Mp3

Hydrometer readings and sugar content charts from HomeWinemaking.com http://www.home-winemaking.com/winemaking-2b.html

Here's what I'm doing with my Sri Lankin Stout, bottling with Jaggery Mollasses.

The October 2010 Basic Brewing radio was all about alternative priming methods, and the guest (who btw, although he is a minister, from michigan, and is an expert on bottling, is NOT ME, but the coincidence is freaky) offers info on calculating how to prime with strange things.

I'm working on the calculation for using Date Palm Syrup from Bangladesh to prime my Sri-lankin stout. Using the podcast info

Basically what you need to do is look for the sugar or carbhydrate amount in the syrup and the serving size, they are defining it by.

You also want to first calculate how much corn sugar you would normally use to carb to whatever style you are aiming for, then convert that to grams. Then based on the amount of sugar (OR CARBOHYDRATES if sugars is not listed, which on some products labels they don't) per whatever serving size they give, you then will know how much of the stuff to use..

Ie, my stout I want to carb to 2.45 volumes of co2, which measures out to 4.3 oz of corn sugar at 70 degrees.

That works out to 121.9 grams....

I am planning on carbing it with some Jaggery Mollasses that I found at a bangladeshi market.

I found online via google, that it contains 12 grams of sugar/tablespoon. So to get to 122 grams I need about 11 tablespoons.

That works our to about 5/8 of a cup. I will add that to enough water to get to 2 cups and boil it.

If you CAN'T find any nutritional info (which by law I thought it has to be posted somethwere) you're going to have to fudge it...you can treat it as mollasses, or honey and use the recommended measurment. I have a chart in my bottling thread that shows honey, maple sugar et al.

More info on post 5 of this;

Bottling tips....

Hopes this helps!!!! As you can see Filkins uses the corn sugar amount, NOT the table sugar amount for his calculations. So that's what I'm going with.

:mug:

Thanks Oldsock.
Wyeast 1968 ESB is one of my fav yeasts and I was leaning that direction as well. I might switch the brown sugar out for treacle and move it to end of boil. Then force carb at a low co2 volume for serving on draft and avoid sugar priming the keg.

Thanks Revvy!
That is one excellent thread! Will come in real handy if I do bottle this one...

I know this is an old thread but, how did this come out? What yeast did you go with?
So I know this is an old reply to an even older thread, but I had a Old Peculiar clone that was submitted to a homebrew comp, they used the Trappist Ale yeast, and although I've never had the real Old Peculiar, this homebrewed one was amazing.

Latest posts

Back