Black streaks in starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamkav

Reaction score
Hello guys, so I've brewed a lager today and have it in my chest freezer at about 50F good to go..I pull out my yeast starter and see black streaks on the bottom.
I've made about half a dozen starters before and have never seen this. The rings look similar to the coil top stove I used to boil the wort. Could this be something to do with it? And yes the black streaks are definitely inside the flask.
Yeast is Imperial harvest, smells fine

Attachments

• 20210310_202955.jpg
    20210310_202955.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Jeeze, yeah, the only way those streaks could have gotten there was from the coil top range.
You're lucky you didn't 'splode the flask.

I would have crashed, decanted and pitched anyway, but I'd file this adventure under "Don't Do That".

fwiw, there is no need to boil DME to make a starter, and boiling e-flasks on coil top ranges has proven disastrous for many folks on HBT.
Instead, simply bring just the water to a boil in a pot, remove from the range, stir in the DME and once dissolved you're ready to start cooling down to pitching temperature, pour the cooled wort into the e-flask, and pitch...

Cheers!

Hey thanks for the quick reply! Yeah I was kinda nervous boiling on the coil top, I have always used gas/ceramic top before. So do you think it will give a burnt flavour? Should I decant and pitch or go to the hbs tomorrow and purchase 2 packs of yeast? 😕$$

I'd crash, decant and pitch with no worries, there isn't much mass involved.
And that scorching is modest compared to one kettle-scorched batch in my history that turned out just fine (PSA anyway: do not rest an SS hop spider on the bottom of a gas-fired kettle)...

Cheers!

Back