Black IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rladd

Reaction score
What do you think of this black IPA recipe?

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: No Profile Selected
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.066
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.086
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 9.18%
IBU (tinseth): 90.89
SRM (morey): 27.75

FERMENTABLES:
11.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (75.4%)
1.5 lb - United Kingdom - Coffee Malt (9.8%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 80L (6.6%)
0.5 lb - German - CaraMunich III (3.3%)
0.75 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (4.9%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 41.65
1 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 32.77
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 11.89
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 4.58
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 14 days

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 oz - Oak cubes for 14 days

YEAST:
Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

My two thoughts:
1. I haven't used the UK Coffee Malt myself, but I'd expect a fair bit of bitterness to come out from it. If so, that seems like a high ratio for it. If you've used it and are happy with that, than disregard.
2. I'd move the Chinook to closer to 15min rather than 30; in my experience, additions in the middle don't really contribute much except bitterness, and Chinook has a nice aroma and flavor that'll come out stronger if it's pushed a bit later on.

Good luck!

I can honestly say this Darth Vader Black IPA recipe is pretty darn good! Seriously, you owe it yourself to give it a try. It's dirt simple and really turns out great every time I've brewed it.

One observation I would like to share about hoppy beers is I've really struggled with getting the hoppy aroma thing to work correctly in any home brew that I've made. Trust me I've tried a lot of the techniques like dry hopping, hop standing etc... but the one thing that really works for me is putting a bag of hops in the keg! It's so amazing to pour a dark beer but when your nose picks up that hop aroma... whoa! (but you already knew that cuz you like black IPA's huh?)

I've had a fair share of black IPAs and love them, never brewed one myself tho. I may brew the recipe you suggested and see how it goes! Thank you!

My two thoughts:
1. I haven't used the UK Coffee Malt myself, but I'd expect a fair bit of bitterness to come out from it. If so, that seems like a high ratio for it. If you've used it and are happy with that, than disregard.
2. I'd move the Chinook to closer to 15min rather than 30; in my experience, additions in the middle don't really contribute much except bitterness, and Chinook has a nice aroma and flavor that'll come out stronger if it's pushed a bit later on.

Good luck!

I've never personally used the UK coffee malts. I may bring down the malts and use actual coffee beans in secondary to get the coffee notes I'm aiming for. Additionally, I'll take your advice on the Chinook hop addition! Thank you!

Nope. It's your beer of course but imho this will turn out too sweet and roasty . I would choose a dark malt with far less character and use only enough to reach the color you want, eliminate entirely any crystal and mash low. Also Simcoe as a bittering hop is a waste.

Cheers!

I'd substitute some of the malt for more sugar to dry it out. It's going to taste too malty. That was my lesson learned on a black ipa attempt.

Back