Black IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgburdman9

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to brew a 5 gallon batch of beer based on Stone 11th. I just added some citra to the hops to the recipe and lowered the gravity some. How do you think it will turn out?

Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.98 %
0.64 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 5.01 %
0.64 lb Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.01 %
2.50 oz Chinook [11.20 %] (90 min) Hops 94.9 IBU
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [7.70 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Citra [11.10 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (1 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [7.70 %] (1 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [11.10 %] (1 min) Hops 1.5 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.069 SG Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.70 %
Bitterness: 100.7 IBU Est Color: 30.0 SRM Color: Color

perhaps a bit too bitter for my tastes but other than that it looks good to me, looks to me like your grain bill %s are about right.

The post from stone actually says ~120 ibus so i am actually below that. My crystal is actually some british crystal 60 if that makes any difference.

Ive read that the perception of bitterness tops out around 100IBU but from experience the OG:IBU ratio is more noticeable. It will be very bitter either way, no doubt about that but if you like your bitter IPAs then it sounds pretty damn good :)

EZ Water Calculator Spreadsheet 2.0
1. Starting Info
A. Starting Water **
(Ca ppm)(Mg ppm)(Na ppm)(Cl ppm (SO4 ppm) Alkalinity (CaCO3 ppm)
Starting Water Profile: 94 33 23 41 27 397
(ppm = mg/L)
Mash Water Sparge Water
Volume (gallons): 4 2.25
% that is Distilled or RO: 50% 50%

Total Grain Crystal Grain Roasted Grain Beer Color
B. Recipe Info (lb) (lb) (lb) (SRM)
12.75 0.65 0.65 30
Mash Thickness ***: 1.25 qt/lb

2. Adjustments
Gypsum Calc. Chloride Epsom Salt Baking Soda Non-Iodized Salt Chalk †
A. Salts CaSO4 CaCl2 MgSO4 NaHCO3 NaCl CaCO3

Mash Additions (grams): 4 1 1 2 1
Adj for Sparge Water? (y/n): TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE
Sparge Additions (add to boil): 2.3 0.6 0.6 1.1 0.6 0.0

These additions gave a Cl:SO4 of 0.49 and an estimated ph of 7.7. I tried to clean up the info above a bit. Do you think this will work well for a black IPA.

I tried this one last friday night. The OG was at 1.071 and the last couple of days the FG is at 1.014 so I think it should be ready to transfer to secondary. I do have a question about the dry hopping, your recipe says for three days, is that all the time you are giving it in secondary? Or are you dry hopping the final three days after a couple of weeks or so of secondary? I am interested to find out because my gravity samples tasted pretty good and I don't want to Eff this one up.

Thanks for posting this recipe BTW and have you tried yours yet?

I would bump up the Carafa to a full pound and replace the Crystal with Victory malt, but that is just me. The hops schedule looks great, should be quite tropical smelling and deep bitterness. U go Ohio.

I would bump up the Carafa to a full pound and replace the Crystal with Victory malt, but that is just me. The hops schedule looks great, should be quite tropical smelling and deep bitterness. U go Ohio.

A whole POUND of carafa III? Wow. Even the manufacturer doesn't recommend that! That's more than twice as much, maybe three times more than I'd ever consider! It's great for color adjustments but I don't see any reason to use a pound of it in ANY beer, but especially this one.

From the website:
490-560°L. Dehusked Carafa III intensifies the aroma and color of dark beers while contributing very low astringency —very smooth. Use 1-5%. Ideal for bock, doppelbock, altbier, and especially Schwarzbier. Small amounts can be used for color adjustment in amber beers. Also nice in stouts and porters.

I tried this one last friday night. The OG was at 1.071 and the last couple of days the FG is at 1.014 so I think it should be ready to transfer to secondary. I do have a question about the dry hopping, your recipe says for three days, is that all the time you are giving it in secondary? Or are you dry hopping the final three days after a couple of weeks or so of secondary? I am interested to find out because my gravity samples tasted pretty good and I don't want to Eff this one up.

I actually got to speak to the head brewer from Stone about dry hopping at this yeasr ACBF in Boston. He said only dry hop for 3-5 days and the end. So if you want in secondary for 2 weeks dry hop the last 3 days.

Finished, kegged, gone! I highly recommend this recipe, bgburdman9 thanks so much for posting. Me and my brothers did a side-by-side with a bottle of the 11th anniversary from Stone and we were all super impressed with how close it was. If you like big bitter hoppy black beers put this one in line for a try.

Finished, kegged, gone! I highly recommend this recipe, bgburdman9 thanks so much for posting. Me and my brothers did a side-by-side with a bottle of the 11th anniversary from Stone and we were all super impressed with how close it was. If you like big bitter hoppy black beers put this one in line for a try.

Yea mine actually turned out pretty good too. It was the first beer I adjusted water for and the bitterness and hop aroma really come out so much more than previous ipas. I would probably switch to pellets next time. My amarillo were all whole hops and absorbed a crapload. I hope every else enjoys this.

Sorry never saw this post earlier. I dry hopped for 8 days. The 3 days was just the default in beersmith and I never changed it.

Back