Black Ipa help/ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catch22Brew

Reaction score
Goodmornin brew fam, long time lurker here making my first post.

I want to make a dark, thick, hoppy IPA. I have about 12 pounds of American pale 2 row and a pound of American crystal 90L.

I can get new grain but would like to use these before they go to waste. Any ideas? I plan to start my mash Wednesday morning.

Go to brewersfriend.com and build a recipe with what you have. You going to need some dark malt to make it black.

I've had really good luck using the dehusked Carafa & Midnight Wheat malt.

The dehusked carafa & Midnight wheat add dark color and some slight roasty notes without the burnt big roast that would get in the way of the hops.

I also tend to like the danker hop varieties rather than fruitier in my black ipas as they really play well with the dark malts, but that's just me.

Good luck.

Here's the last batch I brewed which turned out great.
I adapted a black IPA recipe from the Mitch Steele IPA book for it.

The Sith Lord Black IPA
14 LBS 2-Row (Rahr)
1/2 lb. Carafa II Dehusked
1/2 lb. Midnight Wheat
1 lb. Caramel 40
1 Lb. Caramunich II
1.5 lb. Table Sugar

Hops
1 oz. Simcoe First Wort
1 oz. Magnum 60 min
½ oz Cascade 5 Min.
½ oz Simcoe 5 Min.
1 oz. Cascade Flameout
1 oz Simcoe Flameout
2 oz. Cascade – 7 Day dry Hop
2 oz. Simcoe – 7 Day dry hop

Thanks holy hop,that's hop loaded and just what I'm looking for. I think I am going to roll with this. Might switch out some seven seas for the cascade. Keep it west coast

Back