Black IPA/CDA carafa III

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
Palnning on a Balck IPA/CDA in a couple of weeks...

...should I mash the Carafa III, or steep it before the boil?

By all means mash it. I've mashed my carafa special twice. The roast you get from it is subtle and plays well with the hops.

You could mash it or steep it. I mash mine since I brew all-grain. I learned a trick re. using Carafa Special from a Brew Strong podcast on The Brewing Network. Since you get very little flavor from Carafa Special and there is no husk, you can grind it in a coffee grinder instead of crushing it with the rest of your grains. That will get you more color using less grain. I just brewed a 5 gallon batch of Black IPA last month using 5 oz Carafa Special II. It was a little lighter than I would like it but I think 5 or 6 ounces of Carafa Special III would be just about right. I just grind it to a medium coffee grind consistency.

You could mash it or steep it. I mash mine since I brew all-grain. I learned a trick re. using Carafa Special from a Brew Strong podcast on The Brewing Network. Since you get very little flavor from Carafa Special and there is no husk, you can grind it in a coffee grinder instead of crushing it with the rest of your grains. That will get you more color using less grain. I just brewed a 5 gallon batch of Black IPA last month using 5 oz Carafa Special II. It was a little lighter than I would like it but I think 5 or 6 ounces of Carafa Special III would be just about right. I just grind it to a medium coffee grind consistency.

Grrreat idea! Thanks!

tony-the-tiger---frosties.jpg

I mashed mine the full 60 mins with the rest of the grain. Same crush as the rest of the grain. And I used 1.5 lbs of it for a 6 gal batch (1.068 OG, 78 IBUs). The beer won 2nd place at a local competition.

I mashed mine the full 60 mins with the rest of the grain. Same crush as the rest of the grain. And I used 1.5 lbs of it for a 6 gal batch (1.068 OG, 78 IBUs). The beer won 2nd place at a local competition.

My recipe calls for a little less than 1/2lb (14oz) for 6 gallons, which is 5% of the grainbill. It is Carafa Special III though, which is a bit darker than the Special II.

Along with my Crystal 60, I should yield about 33.5 SRM. Estimated OG 1.085, Estimated IBU's 144.6. I know that the IBU calculation that Beersmith is kicking out is unrealistic, but it will be extremely hoppy. Ii plan on 1st wort hopping with some hops that came unvaccuum sealed in my freezer (Amarillo), and then I'll be using a **** ton of Amarillo and Simcoe. Should yield an ABV in the neighborhood of 8.5%

How dark was your beer?

Good stuff guys. I like the coffee grind tip. I just made mine with 1/2 carafe II and half roasted barley to get a full 30SRM. It's just a little to roasty...

Latest posts

Back