Black Belgian Deliciousness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Exorcisto

Reaction score
I have a batch of little beer working on top of yeast cultured from Ommegang. Once it's done, the plan is to brew something bigger and much more delicious. I figured a Belgian stout is in the works, so here is my stab at the recipe:
6 lb Pale 2-row
2 lb Toasted 2-row
2 lb Roasted Brown 2-row
1/2 lb Crystal 120
1/2 lb Roasted Barley

1/2 oz Sorachi Ace at 60
1/2 oz Sorachi Ace at 15

At high krausen I am going to add:
1 lb Homemade Dark Candi
1 lb Cane Sugar

I'm planning on fermenting at 72* ramping up to 78*. What are the thoughts?

Egads man that is a lot of 'roasted/toasted' flavor !!

I commend you for such a brave attempt, but personally I would cut out the toasted brown, your roasted barley will give you enough flavor and your toasted 2 row will add fresh toast-iness you might not even be able to taste. I could be wrong, I fully admit! This recipe highly interests me though, with or without the brown malt.... I hope to see how this turns out! I just finished my first 2 belgian style beers, and I am HOOKED.

The toasted two-row smells and tastes like Skippy peanut butter, so it isn't really adding to the roastiness, believe it or not. The "brown" malt however, does have a dark toast flavor. Both of them were done in the oven, so I'm not sure if there is a commercial analog. My mild dark just finished out today, so I'll give it a couple days to spin down, then I'll brew this.

Latest posts

Back