BJCP Competition Rule Clarification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewCityBaller

Reaction score
So I am considering entering my first homebrew competition, and I keep seeing a rule that I would like some clarification on.

In rules of the competitions I am looking at, there is always this: "All entries must be handcrafted products, containing ingredients available to the general public, and made using private equipment by hobbyist brewers (i.e., no use of commercial facilities or Brew on Premises operations, supplies, etc.). "

The bolded portion is what I am curious about. Does this mean it has to be something I could go down to my LHBS and purchase? I guess the real question I am trying to answer is, can I use yeast cultured from a commercial product? In theory, anyone could go buy the beer and culture it, so does that make it "commercially available." Or would I be committing a cardinal sin?

If anyone has some insight I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

So I am considering entering my first homebrew competition, and I keep seeing a rule that I would like some clarification on.

In rules of the competitions I am looking at, there is always this: "All entries must be handcrafted products, containing ingredients available to the general public, and made using private equipment by hobbyist brewers (i.e., no use of commercial facilities or Brew on Premises operations, supplies, etc.). "

The bolded portion is what I am curious about. Does this mean it has to be something I could go down to my LHBS and purchase? I guess the real question I am trying to answer is, can I use yeast cultured from a commercial product? In theory, anyone could go buy the beer and culture it, so does that make it "commercially available." Or would I be committing a cardinal sin?

If anyone has some insight I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

I think they are referring to not using commercially available only ingredients, and not culturing yourself. That would be fine.

That is how I understood it as well, but I wanted to be sure before getting myself booted out of my first competition.

Thanks for the answer, Yooper!

FYI........never heard of anyone, anywhere being kicked out of a comp. It really is run on the honor system

I am entering my first competition too. I have to figure out how to mail everything since its in another state. No better way to figure things out than to try. :) what competition are you entering? I did a competition in NC. the Alzheimer's competition. Good luck to you!

I am entering my first competition too. I have to figure out how to mail everything since its in another state. No better way to figure things out than to try. :) what competition are you entering? I did a competition in NC. the Alzheimer's competition. Good luck to you!

The Midwinter Homebrew Competition. The website still hasn't been updated for this year, but it was registered with BJCP, so I assume they will be going again. Had nearly 800 entrants last year.

Looks like you could enter this one too!

FYI........never heard of anyone, anywhere being kicked out of a comp. It really is run on the honor system.
2012 HOPS BOPS in Philly / Dennis Decker

. . . the Organizing Committee has come out from under the hood and has concluded that his beers were brewed with commercial intent. HOPS BOPS rules disqualify the entries from winning medals, though he has received his scoresheets.

The Midwinter Homebrew Competition. The website still hasn't been updated for this year, but it was registered with BJCP, so I assume they will be going again. Had nearly 800 entrants last year.

Looks like you could enter this one too!

I will have to check this out. Thanks! The Alzheimer's competition is only 50 contestants, I'm number 6, so plenty of room. All proceeds go to fund the research for Alzheimer's. I enjoy a good cause.

Latest posts

Back