Bitterness units using HME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprendp3101

Reaction score
Hi all! Greetings from Costa Rica!!
Home Brewing culture is growing nicely around here these days :drunk: . As an enthusiast there's many things I do not understand clearly for now. So here I am..
I am working to make a partial mash, 5Gallons size, (I believe it is a partial mash) using the following ingredients:

Grains:
-3 lb. British pale
-2 lb. Roasted barley
HME
Boil(45 mins 2.5gallons):
-3.3 lb. Amber malt extract
Hops:
-0.5 oz. Chinook (12% AA, 30 min.)

I am worried about bitterness. The HME can I'm using is a Muntons and as far as I see bitterness is 35-45 IBU per can, and in some forums I read the AA for that can is 12.5%.

So the question is...do I have to count that 12.5% AA in my notes to measure the bitterness?

To be more specific I am using this website -that I just discovered- with recipes and even a 'Spreadsheet' stuff, so it will make things easier for a beginner like me

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator

My guess is I have to calculate/add/count that 12.5% AA + 0.5oz of Chinook, if I do that like this:

0.5 oz. Chinook (12% AA, 30 min.)
HME (12.5% AA, 30 min.)

I will hit the 31 IBU but of course If I don't the IBU will be different.
Guessing response is pretty obvious but what would be the correct way to measure it? Everytime I see a recipe that has involved HME normally the hop schedule is there however nothing about the HME bitterness units is mentioned.
Maybe a silly question, thanks in advance for your responses

Peloi,

IBUs measure a concentation as mass per unitvolume. Specifically, one IBU is one miligram isomerized alpha acid in one liter Thus, if you multiply the HME IBUs by the volume it is meant to produce you get the total miligrams of alpha acids. Then divide this by your final batch volume to determine how many IBUs it will contribute. (As long as you use the same unit of volume--litres, gallons, teaspoons, whatever--throughout the process, it does't matter what unit you chose.)

Latest posts

Back