Big mouth bubbler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guateshooter

Reaction score
Anyone use this to fermetation of mead? Im thinking buy a few of those, wath can you say about it?

I think it would work great for mead, big mouth making it easy to pour the honey into. I know people who love them (although I'm still a Luddite who uses the glass carboys I bought years ago.)

All of my primarys and secondary's are big mouths with spigots. Love em. Easy to clean and no siphoning required.

There's also the Fermonster.

P16.JPG

I've had both and prefer the Fermonster. One lid (that seals very well) and the bungs you use for the conventional carboys will work also with the Fermonsters.

I'd be hesitant to use it long term, because mead is less susceptible to oxidation than wine but not immune. That wide top makes me concerned about oxidation, even if you fill to the tippy top. For short term, I'd say it'd be fine but for more than a couple of months (which you do for mead, not so much for beer), I'd be reluctant to do it.

I'd be hesitant to use it long term, because mead is less susceptible to oxidation than wine but not immune. That wide top makes me concerned about oxidation, even if you fill to the tippy top. For short term, I'd say it'd be fine but for more than a couple of months (which you do for mead, not so much for beer), I'd be reluctant to do it.

I hadn't thought of that. I do wine in carboys, but i ferment everything in carboys ;) i assumed mead makers generally fermented in buckets because a friend who makes mead does that, but your point is on target. Do you ferment your meads in carboys?

I hadn't thought of that. I do wine in carboys, but i ferment everything in carboys ;) i assumed mead makers generally fermented in buckets because a friend who makes mead does that, but your point is on target. Do you ferment your meads in carboys?

Not for primary, generally, although it depends on the OG and the ingredients. I will use carboys or buckets.

I stir quite often in primary, and a bucket is great for that, and sometimes use fruit. But once the SG is below about 1.020 or so, it goes into a carboy and is topped up until it is bottled. My wines, meads, and ciders are all in carboys from then on. Often, the wine is moved to a carboy by day 5-7, depending on how fast it gets to under 1.020.

Back