big batches - what chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kulprit

Reaction score
If you read my other thread you will know i am currently trying to plan out an upgrade of my system to do 50 gallon batches. Sort of a pilot system.

Anyways I have been just fine with my IC up till know - but it's just not gonna cut it when I move up in batch size.

It would seem plate chiller is the way to go (from what I read) but I am wondering is it worth spending double and getting the therminator - or will the shirron do just fine?

Anyone with experience? Would love to hear it!

i have the theminator, i got it over the shirron because i didnt want to have chiller envy... no really quantitative reason, i know that blichmann makes great stuff, just not the least expensive...

I'm going big as well, and in asking our local brewpub owner/brewer, he said that in his early days he took his IC, put it in a bucket of ice water and ran the beer through the copper tubing, then back into the kettle. After recirculating like this for a bit, he had the kettle down to temp. Seems like a low budget, effective solution. Just have to be sure you pump cleaner through that chiller really well, or just get new copper and make a new one. The plate chillers scare me a little, because I'm afraid trub or hop matter will get stuck in those narrow little plates.

Back