BIAB: wort is all white after mash and stinks???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whole rice needs to be cereal mashed for the most efficient use. Kunse has a process that I use,since I bought a 25 lb bag of basmati rice and found out I like jasmine. I soak it overnite in the same amount of water you would use if you were cooking it to eat. I then heat it to 189* and let it rest 20 min. It will look like its ready to eat and be very sticky.Add cold brewing liquor to get to 155-160 and add 10% pils malt. You want it to be 150-154*,rest 30 min. it should be very loose and the grains will be just tiny bits,and the liquid clear (no starch).
At this point I mash in the main mash at 143* and bring the rice to a boil for 20-30 min, add to main mash to step to 160*and rest 30 min,and you know the rest. I do both BIAB and MIAB. I'm fermenting with 833 a beer made with 5 lbs rice and 8.25 lbs barley and didn't need any rice hulls.

What's the purpose of bringing it to a boil after the cereal mash and before the main mash?

Back