BIAB with False Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSheridan

Reaction score
So I just got a new kettle and it came with a false bottom. I'm planning to do BIAB and was wondering if I will need to remove the false bottom for the boil or if I can just leave it in there.

I know I don't even need the false bottom with BIAB but if I need to add heat during the mash it will be easier to keep bag from scorching on the bottom

You should try it out both ways .. I use the false bottom and two bags...it just because it's easier to clean up.

Why two bags???
Two bags? Cause a temp prob pomed a tiny hole in one.. I also use the bags with the sewing seams out...eas e to get clean..here is pic of rig in mash mode IMG_20180311_163342.jpg IMG_20180311_163342.jpg

I use a false bottom to keep the bag off the bottom of the kettle so it doesn't get burnt if I need to apply some heat during the mash.

To be honest I'm not sure how much dead space there is under the false bottom, I'd have to look at what the markings on the kettle say. The reason I asked was really more to see if the false bottom would interfere with the boil. I'd like to use it at least the first time, if it won't interfere with the boil, just because it came with the kettle, so why not?

just because it came with the kettle, so why not?

1. When adding heat to a BAIB mash with FB, sometimes the volume under the mash will get very hot without raising the temps of the mash much at all as there is no movement b/w above and below the FB....JMO the FB can be a hindrance sometimes.
2. FB can plug with pellet hops during a boil, best to use whole hops or no FB....JMO.

A FB is typically designed and used for lautering grain, or draining a kettle with pellet hops to filter the wort....if your not doing one of those my opinion is it can do more harm than good....your opinion and mileage may vary :)

Thanks Wilser. Appreciate you taking the time to educate a novice BIABer

Do a wet run with cleaning..pbw,oxy,star with everything ... Go ask Patriot .....

If you need to add a little heat, just be reasonable, heat gently and stir while heating. KISS

If you need to add heat during the mash, your grains aren't milled fine enough. The temperature needs to be kept close to the starting temp only for as long as conversion takes, not necessarily an hour. Once conversion is complete (which can happen incredibly quickly with finely milled grains) the only thing really happening is the extraction of flavors and the sugars from the largest particles of grain. This can happen at lower temperatures just fine.

I use a Jaybird false bottom for 2 reasons. First I recirculate and have had trouble with the bag/grain blocking the pickup. Much less trouble now (though when using a lot of wheat, it seems like the wheat likes to clog the mesh bag.) Second, during whirlpool and transfer it helps keep hop matter out of the pickup, especially if using whole hops. Might clog the false bottom now, but that's a lot easier to fix than hop leaves in the pump and tubing.

Circling back a year later ...
I've done just a few BIAB batches now. I make 5 gal of beer in a 10 gal kettle w/ a Wilserbag so I usually mash with 5-6 gallons and then top up the water for the boil. I use an induction burner. So I am assuming there's no reason for me to investigate a false bottom and have to worry about "dead space" ... or am I missing something?

I BIAB and just recently started using a false bottom as an upgrade from the turkey basket that came with my kettle. The reason I switched was to reduce the dead space under and around the basket which has allowed me to mash up to 24 pounds of grain in an 11 gallon pot. I use a bag from @wilserbrewer and the reason I need a false bottom is to keep the bag off of the two electric heating elements on the bottom of my kettle. I use a pump to recirculate wort from the bottom to the top of the pot periodically during the mash to ensure even heating during step mashing.

One word of caution about using a pump with a bag and false bottom is that as the wort is pulled down through the grain, it will tend to settle and block the flow. My MKII wort pump was able to pull enough vacuum pressure to indent the FB legs into the bottom of the pot, but even a small DC pump can cause your FB to collapse, or worse, pop a hole in the bottom of the kettle. My solution (not yet implemented) is to install a sight glass; the level of wort in it will drop as the grain bed becomes compacted indicating a vacuum forming, and if I'm not quick with the stirring spoon it will allow the pump to pull some air instead of collapsing the false bottom.

So I just got a new kettle and it came with a false bottom. I'm planning to do BIAB and was wondering if I will need to remove the false bottom for the boil or if I can just leave it in there.

I know I don't even need the false bottom with BIAB but if I need to add heat during the mash it will be easier to keep bag from scorching on the bottom
How are going to add heat ? If you add heat ,pull the bag up of the bottom,..

Back