BIAB w/ Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capt_yo55arian

Reaction score
About to do my first BIAB brew w/ the Anvil Foundry. I picked up a Wilser bag but was wondering if anyone has used another full size (grain) bag for the hop additions?

Asking this because I tried free floating the hops in my last brew, but wasn't a fan of the trub. However, using muslin bags / hop socks I'm always concerned about lack of hop utilization in wort.

So is another full size grain bag strictly for hops a dumb idea?

I don’t think it’s a dumb idea, I have similar plans with my robobrew. I think as long as you make sure it isn’t touching the bottom where the heating element is you’ll be fine. Don’t have to worry about clogged pumps either!

I'm not sure how well a full size grain bag will hold up to the heat during a full rolling boil. Hop Spiders are a similar concept. There's a diy design using a mesh paint strainer bag and a stainless steel design sold on the Internet.

https://byo.com/project/build-a-hop-spider-projects/
https://www.google.com/search?q=hop...2l2.15965j0j7&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
It's debatable that using a hop spider decreases utilization, so I throw the loose hop pellets into the kettle and stain it out when I transfer to my fermenter.

https://labelpeelers.com/equipment/strainers/stainless-steel-strainer-10-inch/

I use a 1 gallon paint strainer bag for hot side hops. I feel like it provides plenty of wort circulation and a string tied around the bag keeps it off the bottom of the kettle.

I use a 1 gallon paint strainer bag for hot side hops. I feel like it provides plenty of wort circulation and a string tied around the bag keeps it off the bottom of the kettle.
The last brew I did w/ a hop bag I put the majority of the boil / flameout in this bag (10 x 20.5 mesh). When I was draining into fermenter this bag ballooned w wort and was barely draining. Figured hop utilization wasn’t very good for that brew since the wort wasn’t able to circulate through the bag.

So… got me thinking to use either one huge grain brew bag or multiple bags holding 1-2 oz (depending on recipe)

Attachments

• 004C987A-FFB5-4025-B63A-6A9C3E7BBF81.jpeg
    004C987A-FFB5-4025-B63A-6A9C3E7BBF81.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 0
I have used an old BIAB bag for large hop loads (New England / Hazy IPAs) in the past. Hop utilization concerns…

Normally use a homemade Hop Spider in the center. Seems to work okay with normal hop amounts for what I normally brew.

I also use a hop spider with hop sock with diameter similar to the hop spider. I use a spare TC blank to weight down the fabric to avoid it flapping around in the boil. Others use full metal mesh hops containers that clip on to the side of the boil kettle.

I put all hops into the spider with the exception of last minute or flame out hops, which go into the full volume. Just did an IPA over the weekend with >16 oz hops (for half barrel) with very little going into fermenter.

One final suggestion is to whirlpool post boil, which will give you a trub cone in the center, which can also help minimize any pickup going into the fermenter.

@wilserbrewer makes nice hops bags from the same material as biab bags. If you don't have a hops spider you can still put hops in a bag, tie it off and hang it from the side of the kettle. It keeps most of the hops debris out of the wort.
Yup got the “grand slam” option with the hop bag included. I do own a SS Hop spider… just thinking maybe a large (kettle size) bag for hops would utilize hops the best? Gonna do my first BIAB brew this weekend and I’ll be using a few hop bags and spider, but maybe next brew I’ll use just 1 large bag. Might have an issue w immersion chiller but think it won’t be too bad.

About to do my first BIAB brew w/ the Anvil Foundry. I picked up a Wilser bag but was wondering if anyone has used another full size (grain) bag for the hop additions?

Asking this because I tried free floating the hops in my last brew, but wasn't a fan of the trub. However, using muslin bags / hop socks I'm always concerned about lack of hop utilization in wort.

So is another full size grain bag strictly for hops a dumb idea?
I let the hops free float. After chilling I put a sanitized paint strainer bag into my bottling bucket and pour all the wort and trub into it. I then transfer the wort into the fermenter via the spigot and I am left with a paint strainer bag full of trub and hops. I clip the paint strainer bag to the edge of the bottling bucket, if you don't it can get heavy and fall in. Another idea to think about, Just my 2c.

Back