BIAB strainer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hey all. I happened to be in a restaurant supply store today and I saw an 8 gallon steamer basket for a reasonable price. My question is I don't know my metals at all but I am guessing by it;s light weight that it is probably made of aluminum. If so would this be a plausible option for BIAB?

Sure. Just boil it in the pot for 30 minutes or so to build and oxidized layer on it. It will be grey, do not scrub it off or you will need to do it again. That will keep the metallic flavor from the metal out of your beer.

Yes I know I need a bag. So you are saying to put the steamer basket in the kettle full of water and boil that for at least 30 minutes. Do I have to do this each time?

Yes I know I need a bag. So you are saying to put the steamer basket in the kettle full of water and boil that for at least 30 minutes. Do I have to do this each time?

Nope, just before the first time you use it. That puts a protective oxide layer (passivation) on the metal. Just don't scrub it with anything abrasive, or you'll have to re-do the passivation layer.

Right. Just put it in your kettle filled with water and boil for a half hour or so. Remove the basket and leave it as is. It'll be ready for brewing.

Edit: After brewing there could be some gunk on it. Gently clean, but don't use abrasives.

A steamer basket can make it easier to lift the bag of wet grain. You can also squish down on the bag in the basket to extract more malty goodness.

Whatever works for you.

I'm thinking of going BIAB.
I have a pot & strainer, but I'm wondering what I can use to set the strainer on/over the pot, so I can sparge.
Maybe I can just make a PVC rack and set it on that.
Not looking for complicated pulley/suspension systems.
I would like to simplify and reduce time/effort and equipment/storage.
Currently, I'm using mash tun and hot liquor tank w/ fly sparge...getting tired of all the clean up and storage etc.

... wondering what I can use to set the strainer on/over the pot, so I can sparge....Not looking for complicated pulley/suspension systems. I would like to simplify and reduce time/effort....

If you really do want to simplify and reduce time/effort:

Get rid of the strainer basket. You don't need it, and there will be one less thing to wash. The basket separates a substantial amount of mash water from the grains, which is not desirable. Just put your bag directly into your kettle.

Don't sparge. If you grind your grains fine (~.025" mill gap) you should be able to get mid 80's efficiency without sparging. I routinely exceed recipe targets without sparging. Mash with your full volume of water.

Overhead pulleys are not complicated. They are one of the best improvements that can be made to a BIAB rig. If you have a location where you can put an overhead hoist point, it is well worth the effort and minimal expense.

Let gravity fully drain the bag. When the mash is done, hoist the bag and immediately turn on the heat for the boil. Gravity will drain the bag into the kettle, which will take a half hour or so -- but you are not losing any time because it happens concurrently with the boil. When the bag is fully drained it is lightweight and easy to handle for disposal.

Don't squeeze the bag. If gravity has fully drained it, there's only about 1-1.5 cups of liquid left in the grains, and that is not worth the effort.

All of this makes for a very enjoyable brew day.

Maybe I'll use a ladder & pulley.
Not sure how fine my grain crusher gets...its on the finest setting currently.

That's good info to consider...like the idea of eliminating steps and gear.

LittleRiver is right, you don't need (or want!) the strainer basket. It limits your grain bill size, and if it's one of those ones with a bunch of like 1/4" round holes it (rather than a true mesh screen), it will limit circulation of water in the kettle and take FOREVER to drain.

I do stovetop 5gal BIAB batches in an 8gal pot, no sparge, no squeeze, and I just set the bag in one of these over the pot to drain while heating to boil:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LH7MFW6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

71afPRvZLIL._SL1500_.jpg

Have you actually used this grinder? Want to buy it, but not without anyone vouching for it.

Yes, I have one just like it and have used it for the last...maybe 100 batches. I usually hand crank mine but they can be motorized with an electric drill quite easily.

Guessing he is a batch sparger, or maybe a double batcher, or just has a spare kettle and burner.
:)

Either way, seems like a lot of work vs putting a hook in the garage ceiling. To each their own!!!
Jmo

Good guesses all, @wilserbrewer , but nope, I doth not sparge. I'm spargeless. Bereft of sparging.

I used to do partial boils in that 5G, and that is what I Corona-mill into, using it to dough in. Then it is the drippee during the 12-15m bringing the kettle up to boil.

As for the "simpler to mount in ceiling", well, hmm. Maybe. You might have me there.

Latest posts

Back