BIAB low gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgraham602

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the process of liquidating my three tiered system with the idea of transitioning to a eBIAB (from Colorado Brewing Systems!) and am trying to wrap my head around the BIAB process. I understand using the total needed water during the mash...however. Is there anything different that needs to be done for especially low gravity beers. On my old system, I would end up cutting off the runnings (when it gets below 1.008) to keep from extracting tannins. Is there an equivalent procedure that needs to be done with low gravity BIAB batches? For some reason, I would worry about mashing a low gravity wort in a large amount of water.

You may need to add acidity to your mash when you use a large amount of water for the amount of grains. Otherwise is works great.

What RM-MN said. You'll need to keep your pH in check. Acidity in the form of acidulated malt or something like phosphoric or lactic acid will do just that.

gotcha. is this just the case on low gravity beers? or is the mash ph on most BIAB batches going to be high?

If you're doing full volume mashes, you should use a water calculator to figure out if and how you need to adjust your water to keep the pH within a proper mash range (5.3 - 5.7.) A little bit out of range won't kill the beer, but if you are way off you could have issues.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back