BiaB in a keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metasyntactic

Reaction score
Does anyone have trouble with removing the bag from a keggle? I'm afraid that the grain bag might swell as it's lifted, and catch on the edges of the hole cut into the keg.

I do BIAB with a keggle. The bag will most likely come in contact with the edge (does for me anyway). I used a Dremel then hand sanded the edge smooth.

I've had the bag get stuck with larger grain bills. It helps to have a ratchet pulley. Hoist up as far as it will go, work the sides of the bag with mash paddles, hoist up a few more clicks, repeat. I did a batch with a 24 lb. grain bill. It only took about 5 minutes to get the bag out, which was no big deal, since it needed to drain anyway.

Make sure the cutout rim of the keggle has been sanded smooth with no burrs.

I BIAB in a keggle with no problems. Recently switched to the keggle bag from wilser brewer biabs bags. Works great.

+1 on tapered bag. If you can custom build your bag it's very worth it to suit your particular set up.

I need to cut a larger opening in my keg but I've never had a problem. Since you know it's there you just reach in a pinch a corner and pull the bag out kind of sideways.

I started using my turkey drying pot to drain a lot of wort into before removing the bag. It seems to make things easier. More room to reach in.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

One thing you might want to consider is cutting the entire top of the keg off at the weld where the upper skirt is welded to the keg. Here's the link to what I did:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keiths-cut-keggle-353760/

Later in the thread, I admit that I wish I had cut in in a way that left the handles instead of installing new ones. There's a link later in the thread to someone who did it that way.

This way does drop the volume of the keggle to appr 13 gallons instead of 15, but it provides an opening at the top that's as wide as the keggle - much like a traditional kettle.

Keith

kzimmer0817 said:
This way does drop the volume of the keggle to appr 13 gallons instead of 15, but it provides an opening at the top that's as wide as the keggle - much like a traditional kettle.

Keith

I am a big fan of a more drastic cut on keggles.

I just can't understand how you figure a reduction to 13 gallons, eyeballing the uncut kegs I have it looks to be less than a gallon lost, or 14.75 gallons post cut...hate to nit pic, but IMO every keggle should be fully opened IMO.

I have sold many, many keggle bags with positive feedback and have never heard of users having difficulty pulling the grain bag FWIW. Keggle bags $25 shipped.

Thanks
Wilser

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Jns

I started with a keggle with a cut hole. Then reached underneath and cut out the lip. The cut more off to make it lighter, then sold it for enough money to buy an aluminum 15 gallon pot that's way lighter!... Lol. It was killing my back! Lol

Cheers!

Back