BIAB / All-Grain Grind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrider736

Reaction score
I bought a beer kit as my 1st Venture into Home Brewing, and I noticed on the recipe sheet that came with the kit said "BIAG".

Would the grind be any diffrrent for a "All-Grain brew" ?? Would there be any differences between the two in general ??

With a traditional all grain set up you depend on the husks of the grain to form a filtering bed. If you crush or grind them too fine, you lose the filtering ability and can end up with problems lautering or sparging. With BIAB, the fine mesh of the bag forms the filter so you can crush or grind much finer.

BIAB the grind can be finer. Infact some prefer it saying it gives better efficiency. Since I am new to BIAB I have not tested it multiple ways enough to say if they are right or not.

BIAB is just a METHOD of brewing all-grain. You are 100% good to go. If you're like me, you can add a batch sparge in a separate vessel to increase your efficiency and make most AG recipes more relevant (traditional BIAB is no-sparge)!

I do AG biab and do not crush finer. Effeciency 75% consistently. I do not believe there is really a "standard" crush for BIAB VS a "standard" crush for mash tun. If you have a mill, you can adjust it to your process. If you get stuck sparges, open the gap a turn. If you get poor effeciency (less than 70%) close it down a turn. If like me you are at the mercy of the settings on the LHBS mill, take a peek after the first run through. If there are a significant number of whole kernels, run it through again.

Are you doing BIAB or standard All grain? If you are doing all grain need to take in consideration the higher amount of base malt in the recipe if that kit was made specially for BIAB. Typically BIAB has an additional two pounds of base malt to compensate efficiency. That will certainly affect your numbers depending of what method you are brewing.

Latest posts

Back