BIAB 60 vs. 90 minute mash and boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest-hunters

Reaction score
I have brewed a couple things from the book "Clone Brew" and followed the 90 minute mash and 90 minute boil doing BIAB. Has anyone else done the brews from this book with a 60 minute mash and 60 minute boil. I would also assume to use the hop additions at 60 full volume per the 60 minute extract version or are you doing the 90 minute boil with reduced hops for 90 minutes. I would love to do 60 minute mash for a 5-10 gallon batch with 60 minute boil and 10 minute mash out with a small sparge if i can't get full volume in my 15 gallon pot when doing 10 gallons.

It seems every clone in that book requires and 90 mash and 90 minute boil.

Thoughts or suggestions.

I got into BIAB for time savings. Unless using pilsner malt (Even then, I wonder, as I have never tasted DMS as far as I know), I would try to do 60/60 in most cases, like session strength beers, etc. Using another 1/4 tank of propane doesn't appeal to me in general, nor the extra hour. I suppose you would need to adjust your boil off calculations.

I usually do a 75m mash. Why? Because that's the default schedule for BIAB in Beersmith, so that's what I've always done. I'm pretty sure 60m would yield the same results for most recipes, but my typical philosophy has been to not try to fix what's not broke, though I have been deviating from that a bit lately. Practically speaking, the higher the mash temp, the shorter the duration needed for conversion.

I only do 90m boils when brewing with pilsner or when I'm going for added kettle caramelization. The majority of my recipes get a 60m boil.

So from that book it gives hop additions for extract and 60 minute boils and then it gives the all grain formula too with 90 minute boils and says to use so many percent less of the hops. If I do 60 minute boils should I also use the hop additions from the 60 minute extract formula?

Thanks guys.

60 minutes is enough boil time unless you're using a lot of pilsen malt as far as I understand. I've done everything from 1hour to 5hour mashes, and no complaints here. I think the long long mash times might help lower that FG, but I'm only about 6 batches into all-grain.

I asked this same question when getting ready to brew Biermuncher's Oktober(Fast) ale. Talked to the guy at my LHBS and he said he never boils longer than 60 it is just a waste of propane. Since I BIAB for the time savings I went with the 60 min boil.

Getting ready to keg the result, so I don't know if I have DMS issues or not, but most of the DMS should be driven off in a 60 min boil, just not quite as much as would be driven off in 90 minutes.

With the 90/90 system will always be sure of, complete conversion and no DMS. Biab is a fast brew day even with the 90/90.

I did 20 minute protein rest, 70 minute mash, 10 minute sparge teabagging today and fully expected 60-70% efficiency based on my last of 71% and ended up with something like 86%. OG read up as 1.067. Not complaining but kind of am because I'd weighed out already and resealed all my bulk extracts based on a target of 70%. Diluted the wort and went a little heavy handed on the hops but I'm still with a beer of about 6.5% when I was aiming for a 5.5-6%! Usually use digital scales but today used mechanical so maybe they are off?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I easily got complete conversion. I test with iodine and if I had more experience maybe I'd try some tests at 60 to see if I could save some time, but I don't mind the extra time.

BIAB or not, most of your conversion is happening long before 60 minutes. From what I've heard its pretty much diminishing returns after 30 minutes or so.

The 90 minute boil is only going to help you develop more melanoidins, so you are going to want to vary your boil depending on what you want to make.

Back