BGSA sample shame

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABVIBUSRM

Reaction score
so i just pulled a sample of my BGSA i brewed on sunday to see where i was at cause i never got a krausen so i wanted to make sure the sugars were getting eaten..i pitched @ 64 and allowed to rise to 72..it went from 1069 to 1.010 but god does it taste awful..i am actually ashamed i call my self a brewer:p..i have not brewed something this bad since i first started..JHC:mad: IDK what happened..i know its still too soon to judge but my samples are never bad even when green...thank god it was only a 2 gallon batch..i cant see it getting good with time

I brewed a saison last winter and I felt the same way. I thought I should just dump it because it tasted so bad. Guess what 6 months of aging did to it?

I brewed a saison last winter and I felt the same way. I thought I should just dump it because it tasted so bad. Guess what 6 months of aging did to it?

IDK? hopefully it turned it into liquid gold? am i right?

Well, it certainly became drinkable. Drinkable enough that the second batch is in the fermenter. I'm sure glad I didn't dump it. It still isn't my favorite beer though.

Well, it certainly became drinkable. Drinkable enough that the second batch is in the fermenter. I'm sure glad I didn't dump it. It still isn't my favorite beer though.

well thats cool at least it became drinkable..its terrible to work hard and have toilet swill..the flavor in the sample was just scary..but im not gonna dump and im gonna gear up for another gonna go with wlp570 instead of 1388 this time..thanks alot cheers

so i just pulled a sample of my BGSA i brewed on sunday to see where i was at cause i never got a krausen so i wanted to make sure the sugars were getting eaten..i pitched @ 64 and allowed to rise to 72..it went from 1069 to 1.010 but god does it taste awful..i am actually ashamed i call my self a brewer:p..i have not brewed something this bad since i first started..JHC:mad: IDK what happened..i know its still too soon to judge but my samples are never bad even when green...thank god it was only a 2 gallon batch..i cant see it getting good with time

Almost any sample of beer 3 days after brewing is going to suck. There is suspended yeast, acetaldehyde, incompletely fermented sugars, and all sorts of junk in green beer that is awful tasting.
The beer is WAY too early in the process to taste very much like it will end up.

Almost any sample of beer 3 days after brewing is going to suck. There is suspended yeast, acetaldehyde, incompletely fermented sugars, and all sorts of junk in green beer that is awful tasting.
The beer is WAY too early in the process to taste very much like it will end up.

yeah your right..its just this flavor i get i have got in the past attempting this beer that just does not age out...either way im gonna let it sit awhile and see...but im almost 99% certain its a water chemistry issue

yeah your right..its just this flavor i get i have got in the past attempting this beer that just does not age out...either way im gonna let it sit awhile and see...but im almost 99% certain its a water chemistry issue

I doubt it was the yeast. Ive used both 1388 and 570 and never had that happen. They both have pretty nice profiles. Might have been something with the water, depending on the source, but if that was the case, I'd suspect that you'd see that in your other beers too.

If you make a BGSA again and want to try a new yeast, The Yeast Bay offer something called Dry Belgian Ale, isolated from a BGSA (not Duvel apparently). Everywhere I read indicates its practically 100% apparent attenuation but retains a nice mouthfeel.

Hope this one ages out for you though!

I doubt it was the yeast. Ive used both 1388 and 570 and never had that happen. They both have pretty nice profiles. Might have been something with the water, depending on the source, but if that was the case, I'd suspect that you'd see that in your other beers too.

If you make a BGSA again and want to try a new yeast, The Yeast Bay offer something called Dry Belgian Ale, isolated from a BGSA (not Duvel apparently). Everywhere I read indicates its practically 100% apparent attenuation but retains a nice mouthfeel.

thanks alot cheers

That yeast bay belgian is a killer 85-100% attenuation..thats awesome..gotta try a BGSA with that..i wonder if you even need the sugar addition with that strain..im gonna go pure pils 149*f mash saaz and styrian goldings and soft water and make sure my ph is proper

So, can't be the yeast causing off flavors at 3 days after brewing?

So, can't be the yeast causing off flavors at 3 days after brewing?

i used this yeast many times always under temp control heating/cooling..i tried different mash temps before i always get the same off flavor that i was never able to age out..it has to be my water..my brewing practices are sound..the only variable i never changed was the water..yes i agree its too young and probably did not even finish the attenuative stage but i know that flavor.. cant describe it but i know it aint going nowhere

That yeast bay belgian is a killer 85-100% attenuation..thats awesome..gotta try a BGSA with that..i wonder if you even need the sugar addition with that strain..im gonna go pure pils 149*f mash saaz and styrian goldings and soft water and make sure my ph is proper

One of the beta testers for The Yeast Bay did a post about the strain when they were isolating it and going through the selection process:

http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/16/the-yeast-bay-dry-belgian-ale-a-preview/

Pretty good read, as are all the posts on this blog.

i used this yeast many times always under temp control heating/cooling..i tried different mash temps before i always get the same off flavor that i was never able to age out..it has to be my water..my brewing practices are sound..the only variable i never changed was the water..yes i agree its too young and probably did not even finish the attenuative stage but i know that flavor.. cant describe it but i know it aint going nowhere

Let us know how it is after 3-4 weeks primary fermentation and conditioning.

well the beer is lagering now in a 1.75 gallon keg..i got great attenuation started at 1069 got it down to 1007..im gonna lager it for 2 months and hopefully its drinkable

Back