better bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99expo

Reaction score
I was just thinking (yes it did hurt a little) those better bottles look a lot like water jugs on the top of a water cooler....so would the water jugs work for a primary:confused: ?

They do look similar, but I wonder if they are the same PET material. The problem with other plastics is smell and tastes leeching into the plastic. Better Bottle is supposed to not have these problems. Better-bottle.com has some tech faqs on it.

I use a Better Bottle for my clearing tank, and I really like it. I bottle straight from the included spigot and use the "adjustable pickup" to maximize my beer output by skimming just above the sediment layer.

EdWort said:
They do look similar, but I wonder if they are the same PET material. The problem with other plastics is smell and tastes leeching into the plastic. Better Bottle is supposed to not have these problems. Better-bottle.com has some tech faqs on it.

My understanding is that O2 permeability is the bigger issue.

Water-cooler plastic carboys are not PET, and therefore are not suitable for fermenation. Too bad - be easy to run a couple out to the car unnoticed!

5 gal. Water Bottles are polycarbonate. The same plastic as nalgene bottles. I use them when I run out of glass ones.

Polycarbonate (PC)

Crystal clear, strong and rigid, polycarbonate is autoclavable, non-toxic, and unbreakable. FDA approved for Food and Drug applications, this resin is the toughest of all thermoplastics, but is soluble in various organic solvents.

Polycarbonate is ideal for high temperature applications and can also withstand low temperatures. It is commonly used as 5 gallon water bottles and reusable 8 oz. school milk containers.

Lexan is GE's tradename for Polycarbonate. PC is an expensive material.​

Not all water bottles are. I just looked at work and our bottles have a number 1 inside the triangle and says PET. Funny thing is that damn water bottle followed me home. I have used water bottles before that had a number 7 in the triangle as my secondary and every thing turned out fine and was a great beer.

Don't forget a water cooler bottle is only 5 gallons, not really big enough for fermenting.

so basicly its not right but its ok. maybe cut the resipe down or split between two jugs. I don't have a hb store around and hate watching the mail for stuff to come....I think i will go find one and check it out.

Back