better bottles?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

99expo

Reaction score
I was just thinking (yes it did hurt a little) those better bottles look a lot like water jugs on the top of a water cooler....so would the water jugs work for a primary:confused: ?

EdWort

Reaction score
They do look similar, but I wonder if they are the same PET material. The problem with other plastics is smell and tastes leeching into the plastic. Better Bottle is supposed to not have these problems. Better-bottle.com has some tech faqs on it.

Reaction score
I use a Better Bottle for my clearing tank, and I really like it. I bottle straight from the included spigot and use the "adjustable pickup" to maximize my beer output by skimming just above the sediment layer.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
EdWort said:
They do look similar, but I wonder if they are the same PET material. The problem with other plastics is smell and tastes leeching into the plastic. Better Bottle is supposed to not have these problems. Better-bottle.com has some tech faqs on it.
My understanding is that O2 permeability is the bigger issue.

Water-cooler plastic carboys are not PET, and therefore are not suitable for fermenation. Too bad - be easy to run a couple out to the car unnoticed!

Reaction score
5 gal. Water Bottles are polycarbonate. The same plastic as nalgene bottles. I use them when I run out of glass ones.

Polycarbonate (PC)

Crystal clear, strong and rigid, polycarbonate is autoclavable, non-toxic, and unbreakable. FDA approved for Food and Drug applications, this resin is the toughest of all thermoplastics, but is soluble in various organic solvents.

Polycarbonate is ideal for high temperature applications and can also withstand low temperatures. It is commonly used as 5 gallon water bottles and reusable 8 oz. school milk containers.

Lexan is GE's tradename for Polycarbonate. PC is an expensive material.​

Brew-boy

Reaction score
Not all water bottles are. I just looked at work and our bottles have a number 1 inside the triangle and says PET. Funny thing is that damn water bottle followed me home. I have used water bottles before that had a number 7 in the triangle as my secondary and every thing turned out fine and was a great beer.

david_42

Reaction score
Don't forget a water cooler bottle is only 5 gallons, not really big enough for fermenting.

OP

99expo

Reaction score
so basicly its not right but its ok. maybe cut the resipe down or split between two jugs. I don't have a hb store around and hate watching the mail for stuff to come....I think i will go find one and check it out.