Better Bottle Filling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev211

Reaction score
So heres the deal... After reading horror stories of glass carboys, and then cutting half my dang finger tip off the pther night while making dinner, I decided I didnt want the hassle of glass carboys. So I bought some better bottle 6 gallon carboys. Heres my question... I was reading about best care for them on the better bottle website and they said this "Very Important Brewer's Note: Pour a generous portion of the cold diluting water to the BetterBottle carboy before adding the wort and be very certain that the wort has been chilled so it is cool to the touch. Mix the wort with the water right away (see Mixing/Oxygenating/Degassing below). Do Not chill hot wort in BetterBottle carboys and do not pour undiluted wort into BetterBottle carboys – doing so appears to promote environmental stress cracking (ESC)"

The cold water first and then adding the wort; is that only for partial boils that arent ful;ly cooled? Or is that for any wort going into the better bottle? Sounds like a dumb question, but thats how they worded it. I do full boils and cool with an immersion chiller. Should I be alright to just pour the wort in once its chilled? Cuz if all wort has to be diluted in these things, then Im returning them...

I think the important part is not to chill hot wort in Better Bottles. You cool with an immersion chiller and do full boils, so you'll be fine. Just conduct business as usual.

Thats what I figured, but their wording threw me off so i thoughtd at least one person here could help me :)

The "cool to the touch" part probably means, no wort warmer than about 75°, and the Better Bottle is at room temperature.

Back