Better Bottle Disaster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figgy15

Reaction score
Hello all.
Hoping for some advice. My last 5 gallon batch was done boiling and I was setting up my ice bucket with pump to run through my chiller. But then the damn pump stopped working and I was stuck with hot wort. In a moment of panic I decided to transfer my hot wort into my better bottle fermenter, then threw it in my chest freezer to cool it down to pinching temp. My question is due to the heat in the plastic, could the wort have gotten dangerous chemicals into it from the plastic. I tasted a sample and it tasted fine a bit sweet possibly due to a small amount of oxygenation.

Dangerous is a pretty subjective term. I say lesson learned and let it ride out. If you taste any off flavors then dump it...

Hello all.
Hoping for some advice. My last 5 gallon batch was done boiling and I was setting up my ice bucket with pump to run through my chiller. But then the damn pump stopped working and I was stuck with hot wort. In a moment of panic I decided to transfer my hot wort into my better bottle fermenter, then threw it in my chest freezer to cool it down to pinching temp. My question is due to the heat in the plastic, could the wort have gotten dangerous chemicals into it from the plastic. I tasted a sample and it tasted fine a bit sweet possibly due to a small amount of oxygenation.

No worries there. Folks use no-chill cubes made of plastic designed for pouring hot wort directly into it.

The heat and subsequent cooling could warp the PET better bottle but any effects will be to the vessel, not your beer.

At transfer to the FV. The wort should taste very sweet. (the sugars will be converted to alcohol. Adding disolved oxygen is desirable at this stage also. The yeast need it.

In short. No need to worry. All you did was an unexpected no chill brew. So long as you waited till it was cool to pitch the yeast you will have beer.

Latest posts

Back