Next toy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jloewe

Reaction score
Looking for my next addition to my home brew set up. Broke AF right now but also trying to see if there’s any Amazon day deals coming up that might show up on prime day.

Thinking either a wort pump or a grain mill.

Grain mill would likely be a Corona since I like things that can double for other use. Maybe I can make flour…. I could be convinced to get a proper grain mill if it’s that much better though.

In the future but too expensive for now are anvil SS buckets and a kegorator.

If anyone was wondering my current set up is a 35L mashfiest and an old chest freezer with inkbird temp control. Was using glass carboys (that I got for free) but I’ve gone to plastic buckets and I think I like them better. Regressed from 5g to 3g so I use up my beer faster and get to brew more.

Either one (grain mill or pump) is a good choice. Grain mill gives you more control over your crush, especially if you use a wheat malt (needs to be milled finer and separately from barley). A pump just makes the brewday go faster, without all that manual pouring with a pitcher for lautering, and transferring to the fermenter is a snap; not to mention that chilling goes faster as well, if you use an IC or a plate chiller. I went with the pump first, back in the day.

In the future but too expensive for now are anvil SS buckets and a kegorator.
In light of this, rather than pump or mill; have you considered either modifying your buckets or maybe replacing with a Fermzilla or modded Fermonster so that you'll be prepared to do closed-transfers to your eventual kegs?

In light of this, rather than pump or mill; have you considered either modifying your buckets or maybe replacing with a Fermzilla or modded Fermonster so that you'll be prepared to do closed-transfers to your eventual kegs?
My buckets do have spigots on them if that’s what you mean. The keg will honestly be the last to come most likely due to kids and in-laws taking up space in the house. Unless an opportunity falls into my lap.

my current set up is a 35L mashfiest
I couldn't find anything named like that... Turns out, it's actually called a "Klarstein 35 litre Maischfest." ;)

Recirculating wort and whirlpool.
Recirculating during the mash, during the boil, or when chilling?

You don't really need to "whirlpool," which also requires other attachments and stuff.
Just give it a good stir with a long brew spoon or paddle.

I couldn't find anything named like that... Turns out, it's actually called a "Klarstein 35 litre Maischfest." ;)

Recirculating during the mash, during the boil, or when chilling?

You don't really need to "whirlpool," which also requires other attachments and stuff.
Just give it a good stir with a long brew spoon or paddle.
Recirculating during the mash.

Recirculating during the mash.
I'd go with the pump for now..it's just too useful for moving wort around, especially through a chiller and into the fermenter, and save up to buy a single purpose high-quality grain mill. The MP-15RM pumps with a SS head are cheap and ideal for your volumes.
:mug:

old-el-paso-taco-girl.jpg

If you are looking for a kegerator on the cheap, scour craigslist for used dorm style fridges. I have seen them for as low as 100 bucks. You can use it as a storage fridge at first and then keep looking at craigslist and see what pops up. I got my used "kegerator" from a guy who was moving and did not want to take it with him. I got the fridge, all the connections, hoses and even the tap and tower for about 100 bucks. I think I got him down from 150 or so. So they are out there, just be patient. If I was going to do it all over again, I would go used with as much as I could. I have seen complete brew setups and parts and pieces on craigslist and facebook marketplace for really cheap. Either way, good luck, I know how it feels when the budget is tight.

For a keg it’s more about space than cash. I can throw it together a little at a time but I have dressers in the hallway with adult children and in-laws taking up space

the fermzilla all rounder is small, lightweight, and pressure-capable. you can ferment and pour right out of same vessel. if you can fit it in a fridge, you can skip the keg. although you only get one beer at a time....

Latest posts

Back